Troublesome Defender TD5 Electronics

Hi fellow land rover nuts, after years of fighting mother nature trying to keep 300tdi`s on the road i gave up and bought a 110 TD5 (VAN). It seemed like a good move at the time as scottish weather takes no prisoners,so it was goodbye to the 90sw holes included. In return i have a 110 which ran fine until it stopped dead as i backed out the drive at half six one wet morning. After summoning strength of the bear and pushing it to the other side of the road i have a clicking from under the drivers seat and the start up lights on the dashboard flickering at the same time. I have replaced the yellow relay which i think is connected to the fuel cut off and have ordered the black relay which i think is related to the starting sequence. After speaking to an auto electrician who came recommended i get the feeling he would be coming to put the landy out of it`s misery. Has anyone had a similar problem with a 110 and did the poor beast pull through?

The pain of the whole event is being dulled by a well known french beer first brewed in 1664. :lol:

How is the battery voltage? Clicky relays usually means flat batteries...

Does it crank over when you try to start?

I would also check the power feeds as it sounds like it could be a bad connection somewhere. I don't think it is as serious as it sounds.

Hi,

I have a Td5 and the ignition switch is real pain, if I turn it as your would normally, I have a click and it seems like a flat battery..

I have to turn the key very slowly till it catches and it starts fine..

Replaced the ignition switch too, still the same, just another quirk to live with, and no one can pinch it even if I leave the keys in it...

Might be a help.. good luck..

db

How is the battery voltage? Clicky relays usually means flat batteries...

Does it crank over when you try to start?

I would also check the power feeds as it sounds like it could be a bad connection somewhere. I don't think it is as serious as it sounds.

The battery in the 110 was giving a green indication for healthy condition, ferreted around in the shed for the old battery charger and charged for 4 hrs. Turned over with a bit of a struggle and the engine management light stayed on for a few seconds. I will get a new battery put in tomorrow but i wonder what killed the battery off??? Many thanks for the quick diagnosis, with the battery showing healthy i would never have thought to give it a charge. :rolleyes:

Wait till it is all quiet outside and then go out and turn on the ignition. If you cannot hear the fuel pump then you will likely have found the cause...

Chris

I went out when the kids in the street had finished off their alcopops and no noise from the pump, with the replies i had received i dug out the old faithfull battery charger and with a few hours charge the motor came to life. So hard to diagnose a td5, the old tdi gave a call like a hound when it had a flat battery "bow wow wow wow" the new motors are so fickle. Cheers for the info m8.

Hi,

I have a Td5 and the ignition switch is real pain, if I turn it as your would normally, I have a click and it seems like a flat battery..

I have to turn the key very slowly till it catches and it starts fine..

Replaced the ignition switch too, still the same, just another quirk to live with, and no one can pinch it even if I leave the keys in it...

Might be a help.. good luck..

db

I think i`ve got it narrowed down to a knackered battery (showing heathy but no cranking power) thanks for the info. I had a 1991 disco 300tdi that you had to stall to turn the engine off, you would be ordering your tea at the burger van with the keys in your hands and the doors locked with the engine still running. :lol::lol:

Remember that a Tdi needs almost no power to keep the engine running once started, just enough to hold the injector solenoid open. The TD5 needs quite a few amps (I believe about 9) to keep the engine going, and the batteries don't last that long in consequence. And if your battery starts to go it can cause all sorts of strange problems. See my recent post in the Disco forum about problems caused by such a small thing as a bad earth.

I have a dead TD5 as well.

Parked it friday in fully working condition, been too busy to touch it over the weekend, I had to go to work this morning and found it dead.

It's been raining quite a bit over the weekend but not more than usually does, so I really doubt it has something to do with it.

When I turn on the ignition, I just get a click from the fuse box instead of a running engine.

All the light in the dash is as it should be, fuel pump is making the same sound as it always does.

I checked all the small fuses, checked the big ones too for erosion, but it's all clean.

Anyone have an idea what it could be?

Well it's true that the injector solenoids draw quite a current (I believe even more than the 9 amps quoted by Jim), but as the alternator is rated to an output of 120 amp that should not be a big problem, so long as the alternator is in good working conditions; my original Delphi battery was replaced afetr 7 years of faithful service just out of a scruple, and currently (correct word, I'd say...) keeps on working on a tractor, no problem.

It s true that cars with electronic management behave differently when the battery is low: in most cases the ecu just refuses to let the starter motor work, so when voltage drops below a given threshold the vehicle seems straight dead. Sometimes even jump starting won't suffice, as the ecu will wait until voltage rises back to a normal/acceptable value.