Isuzu 4JB1 TD Gearbox/bellhousing/conversion kit

wolfieroc

All, I have read thru lots of forums, contacted conversion companies, transmission companies etc. Does ANYONE have an actual setup running with an Isuzu 2.8L 4JB1 TD 5 speed? I have heard use a LT77, no a R380 is better, no use a NV4500 etc. Please post details ie bellhousing, kit source, gearbox, clutch etc. This would undoubtedly help lots of people. Thank you for your time.

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/ shazam. there you will find conversions fot lt77, lt85, r380 and even lt95 if you want to go old school. M&d engineering flog them too, but they charge more. steve parker also has the adaptors too i think, but again he charges more.

its a pretty common conversion, and the kits come with most stuff in them. they even come with instructions.

al i don' think there will be many people using an nv4500 as there's not much demand for running a gearbox that weighs as much as the engine. i think you want to upscale your engine to a 4bd1 (for which adaptors are available) or downscale your gearbox. if you're determined, i'm sure you can find someone to make one for you though.

http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/ shazam. there you will find conversions fot lt77, lt85, r380 and even lt95 if you want to go old school. M&d engineering flog them too, but they charge more. steve parker also has the adaptors too i think, but again he charges more.

its a pretty common conversion, and the kits come with most stuff in them. they even come with instructions.

al i don' think there will be many people using an nv4500 as there's not much demand for running a gearbox that weighs as much as the engine. i think you want to upscale your engine to a 4bd1 (for which adaptors are available) or downscale your gearbox. if you're determined, i'm sure you can find someone to make one for you though.

It is something people in the US would look at where a LT77 and R380 need to be imported from the UK and parts for either a Dodge or Chevy NV4500 are readily available. Of course if you are putting it into a LR as I am and wanted to either use a LT230 or a kit to keep your series part time transfer case there would be no point in going in that direction but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Thanks Gaza. B)

Wolfetc - no its for a Unimog, and I already have the boxes. (NV4500 and Atlas). The LT230 has outputs in the wrong places for my application.

Callum - I think you have your weights confused. Sure its a heavy box, but not masses more than a landrover lump, and certainly nothing like the engine weight. I can make an adapter, I just wanted to see other people's attempts. ;)

Al.

Callum - I think you have your weights confused. Sure its a heavy box, but not masses more than a landrover lump, and certainly nothing like the engine weight. I can make an adapter, I just wanted to see other people's attempts. ;)

Al.

sorry al, that was a sly dig, which is probably inappropriate as i don't even know you. i don't think much humour translates well in forum form.

was aiming at the usual use of the nv4500 being behind 6bt's etc for whom 20psi of boost is considered asthmatic and many other transmissions wilt under the strain. alas the 2.8 isuzu is not so mighty.

Anyway your choice of bits is your choice and should not be affected by some random chump typing on a forum, i'm sure there are many factors which have influenced your choice of which i am compeletly ignorant.

anyway good luck with your project (and your many forthcoming hours at the milling machine), i look forward to seeing some pics.

I think he's just used to the more direct digs these days :P

Thats about the size of it!

Sorry Callum I had an e-sense-of-humour-failure... :blink:

Maybe I've just reached that age when jokes need to be pointed out to me! :o

Cheers, Al. ;)

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...