Frame engine swap

I am contemplating a frame and engine swap for my 1985 LHD 90. It now has a 2.5 petrol, LT77 and the lt230. I have found a galv 200tdi frame and the engine(200tdi)/tranny(lt77)/transfer(lt230)(all from a Defender), and was wondering if there would still be much cutting inside the truck? tunnel, bulkhead, etc. And if anyone else has done this, I'm curios about other problems that arose.

Thanks

post-6197-1216348098_thumb.jpg

I think it will swap without any mods. Would pay to check the bellhousing length on the two boxes but I think they didnt change till the 300 TDi. But being the same gearbox and transfer it shouldnt affect the tunnel.

Thanks,

You Kiwis are so helpful! I hope my sister inlaw reads this.

There will be no changes required, they will all drop on to the points and the tunnel, seat box et al will fit. Bell housing lengths will be the same.

If you don't have power steering, now would be a good time to fit it. Likewise, a disc braked rear axle from a Disco or later Defender would be a good upgrade if yours hasn't already been upgraded.

HTH

Mo

No significant issues with a defender unit. Disco 200tdi engine will have turbo / steering linkage conflict on a LHD 90. I'd install a complete tdi exhaust as the 2.5 petrol will be a bit restrictive.

exhaust mounts are different, later vehicles use a rubber ring & pin type mount, your 1985 vehicle uses a bolt/bush/nut at the mounts, have a look & I'm sure you will see the difference

I forget who asked, but these are what I used to get the Wheels on. I've had them on for 4-5k with no problems,(knock on wood), Gives the truck a bit of a wider stance which I liked also. I think they're 30mm.

post-6197-1216405000_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the input!

Just one follow up Question.

Are the engine mounts on a Euro spec 200tdi frame in the same place you would need them in order to mount a 2.5 Petrol?

This may become a 2 part job, frame first, engine later, thats if I don't have to change the mounts!

Thanks yet Again!

Thanks for all the input!

Just one follow up Question.

Are the engine mounts on a Euro spec 200tdi frame in the same place you would need them in order to mount a 2.5 Petrol?

This may become a 2 part job, frame first, engine later, thats if I don't have to change the mounts!

Thanks yet Again!

Yes, the 200Tdi will drop striaght on to the existing chassis mounts & existing circular rubber bushes. all 2.5 4 cylinder engine [with exception of 300Tdi] use the same mounts.

Yes, the 200Tdi will drop striaght on to the existing chassis mounts & existing circular rubber bushes. all 2.5 4 cylinder engine [with exception of 300Tdi] use the same mounts.

Thanks for all the help! As far as Axles, when I swap the frame, would it make sense to do the discovery axles to update and also get the discs in the rear? Or are my 1985 axles OK?

Thanks for all the help! As far as Axles, when I swap the frame, would it make sense to do the discovery axles to update and also get the discs in the rear? Or are my 1985 axles OK?

Change to disco axle, tomaco. The drums are OK but the discs are better.

Mo

Swap to the Disco rear with disc brakes & keep the Disco front axle & old drum braked rear axle as spares.
Will any Disco I set of axles work?

Another Question.

I had a puddle(well a stain) under my right rear wheel the other day. Checked the brake fluid which was a little low, but it didn't seem enough to leave that big a mark on the driveway. It hasn't happened since, any ideas?

As long as I'm talking stains on the driveway, the power steering pump seems to be leaking at the bolt with the 2 brass washers, any ideas?

Thanks.