Smokin.......................on start up

Just a quick question...........I've just bought a 2001 TD5 Defender which has done 86,000 miles.

Seems to run fine and so far hasn't missed a beat (750 miles in 2 weeks).

That said I've noticed that when I start it up quite a lot of white smoke comes out of the exhaust....is this the sign of something serious or just one of those things??

First check the glow plugs. If the problem persists, get a compression check done. White smoke on startup is normally caused by low compression, but don't get worried until you have tried the glows.

Just a quick question...........I've just bought a 2001 TD5 Defender which has done 86,000 miles.

Seems to run fine and so far hasn't missed a beat (750 miles in 2 weeks).

That said I've noticed that when I start it up quite a lot of white smoke comes out of the exhaust....is this the sign of something serious or just one of those things??

Dont use the throttle when starting ??

an update (for those that care) :cry:

A friend who owns a garage has had the TD5 in and checked the glow plug and they all look ok, as we're out to the Alps soon I asked him to give it a good service ready for the winter......

As he started we had a peek in the water header tank thing (sorry I'm not technically minded at all) and we found it full of a oil:water mix......more oil than water :cry: :cry: head gasket??????

So how many hours does it take for a good mechanic to change a head gasket and is there anything else I should get him to do at the same time??

an update (for those that care) :cry:

A friend who owns a garage has had the TD5 in and checked the glow plug and they all look ok, as we're out to the Alps soon I asked him to give it a good service ready for the winter......

As he started we had a peek in the water header tank thing (sorry I'm not technically minded at all) and we found it full of a oil:water mix......more oil than water :cry: :cry: head gasket??????

So how many hours does it take for a good mechanic to change a head gasket and is there anything else I should get him to do at the same time??

Its not something you should be getting the garage to rush. Changing the head gasket is a few hours work. The thing you need to know is what caused it and what other damage has been done.

If the head needs skimmed then its a machine shop job which will cause further delays.

Its not something you should be getting the garage to rush. Changing the head gasket is a few hours work. The thing you need to know is what caused it and what other damage has been done.

If the head needs skimmed then its a machine shop job which will cause further delays.

Agreed that I won't be getting them to rush it....I'm going back to France without the Defender and will come back when it's ready....as to cause what are the possible causes (or are they too numerous to list).....the mileage is 86,000??

Before you whip the head off, check that the oil cooler hasn't got an o-ring gone or even corroded through. The oil pressure at 4 bar is higher than the coolant pressure so pushes the oil into the coolant.

• 3 weeks later...