Driving to the Alpes

Typsey

I am driving out to the French Alpes for some snowboarding. I am taking my 300 Tdi Disco and will have me plus 4 passengers.

Do you have any tips for a relative novice when it comes to trips of this sort.

For information, it was -19 C on Friday there.

Typsey

Hi there

check which passes are open as you may have to do some large detours.

plan your route before you go (see above)

some passes have mandartory snow chains, without these you will not be able to use the pass.

But if you are going to a ski resort they should be accessable.

Check your car is equipped with good tyres, (muds are DANGEROUS)

mobile that works in europe,reflective jackets (these will be checked if you are stopped)

Take it steady and slow and you will be fine!

HTH?

Mandy.

P.S. dont forget to post the pics!!!!!!!!!! :D

whatever you are told, if you only haev one set of chains put them on the FRONT. I have friends in the swiss alps who live down a 1:3 hill permanatly covered in snow and ice- got an Audi A8 up and down with chains on fronts, but almost (and i reallly mean this) killed myself with chains on back. I know that all the suppliers say rear fitment (on the ground you won't get oversteer) but frankly if you are pissing around with chains on, or aren't taking care then you don't deserve to have passengers. As with off roading take very steep hills straight on, and very very very very very very slowly and you will be fine. if you start to slide then let the brakes off until you have grip- do not go down in low first- you won't be able to accelerate out of a slide quickly enough! Pick the right gear for the situation.

If you have two sets then no problems- you can probably get up most of the pistes lol.

drive very intelligently- if you come to a place in the road that is permanantly overcast with trees or mountains then be very careful- ice can build up very very quickly and you won't seee it. (run off on an exposed portion of road runs to the overcast section and promptly freezes as air temp is often below freezing in the shade- because it is running, purified water, you get bucketloads of black ice!)

If you really aren't certain about a road then get out and have a look- most passes on main routes will be clear of snow and ice, but at -31 (the lowest i ever encountered in the alps) you can never be too careful.

have a real care with your fuel- i guess you realise that diesel freezes at quite a high temp- Alpine diesel is of a different grade and freezes at a MUCH lower temp- fill up your car before you get somewhere very cold from a petrol station in the alps. For that matter alot of French petrol stations close quite early in towns- if you get to 7:30pm and are low on fuel then please fill up. I once drove across the whole of the alps (about 60 miles, with an indicated 20miles of fuel left as all the stations were shut (6 if i remember) and not ONE would take an automatic payment with my british card (wouldn't take my Swiss card for that matter either!). It was 24 below, i had 4 passengers, skiis and luggage for a week and i was really really stressed that we wouldn't make it over. I was really silly then, i should have stopped and waited til the next morning! one interesting thing to note is that swiss petrol stations take notes, so if you are near the swiss border then you can hop over and buy some fule (assuming you have Swiss francs mind).

Make sure you car is very very well prepped before you go- do all the normal checks and more- tyres must be in very good nick. IMHO mud tyres are brilliant in snow but carp on ice (and will probably get you killed). All terrains are far far far better than summer road tyres (winter snow tyres are the best but i can't really advise you to go and buy any!)

With our snow chains I carry:

Large black plastic bags- or some other waterproor disposable mat- will save you a lot of dirt when you kneel down to put the chains on

"Freezer Bags" as large as you can get for puttingh the dirty chains in- they get very very very mucky and frankly you don't to have to put them back in the bag as you inevitably get yourself more wet and dirty (remember you almost always have to put chains on ni the cold and wind- when you get wet in the Alps you can very very quickly die of Hypothermia- even with a car next to you- used to happen a couple of times a decaded to tourists in the resort i lived in!)

mots importantly get some disposable gloves and put them with a warm wrist length coat- then put them somewhere accessible- beofre you start with chains put your coat on and your latex gloves on- you will thank me later

hope you you don't need snow chains (as they are always a pain)

Put all of this where you can easily get to it - should be very last item you pack

(oh yeah one more thing- there can be a huge difference between laden and unladen supension heights in a vehicle- plan to have much more problems getting chains on when 4 up and luggaged up!)

Take lots of de-icer, as well as lock de-icers.

Make sure that you allow the pre-heat light to go out before starting the diesel. To be safe when the car is started rev it for a while- the heat from the engine willl ensure the fuel pump doesn't freeze up with very very cold diesel. If you rev the engine and hear a loud belt squeal then stop the cra immediately- your block might have frozen- check the state of the rad!

Another thing i found helpful was to give someone an ETA if you are running particularily late- this might not be possible if staying at a hotel but it gives you a backup in case of emergency.

Please remember- you can very very easily go from toootling along in a warm car, to a near death experience at -20 and at 7500 feet (the height of some of the major alpine passes!). If you haven't been really cold before then you must realise that the alps don't feel too bad in the cold as all the moisture has fallen as snow- paradoxically it is a very very dry enviroment in the dead of winter. however if you get wet you can easily die within 20 minutes without warmth and shelter (ie your car)

Having said all the above, as long as you are prepared you will have no problems- have a great hol and i look forward to seeing the piccies.

Jim

P.S. apologies for the essay!

Thanks a lot for that Jim. Sound advice. I have worked a couple of times in Norway at winter learning to ski, but have never driven around there. Am toying with the idea that I might take a small gerry can of diesel with me just in case. Should be getting there around 3 or 4 in the evening and will fill up well before that, but also heard that the fuel stations close early. Think I have the kit for it, but may well invest in the spare rubber foot mat for putting the snow chains on.

Thanks for the advicel.

Marten

Excellent advice, not really anything to add really.

I used to drive over to Switzerland about 4 times each winter but since flights became so cheap its just not worth the effort. I once left Exmoor in the snow and drove on snow pretty much all the way to Tasch in Switzerland.

We are off in 3 weeks, 4 of us flying Bristol/Geneva return for £200! I can't wait.

Will :)

Excellent advice, not really anything to add really.

I used to drive over to Switzerland about 4 times each winter but since flights became so cheap its just not worth the effort. I once left Exmoor in the snow and drove on snow pretty much all the way to Tasch in Switzerland.

We are off in 3 weeks, 4 of us flying Bristol/Geneva return for £200! I can't wait.

No probs with advic.

Know what you mean about prices mate, i used to drive over all the time but it is so cheap now. You off to Tasch this year? i am attempting to make it ot Verbier but not having much luck at the moment.

Still much prefer driving to flying though- so much easier that way- and in a race it is just as fast- i used to do Verbier to Taunton in about 14hours non stop after trains and planes (a right hassle), last time i borrowed a freinds car and did Taunton to Verbier in 13 (we did average over 100 in france mind) so there's not a lot in it- just end up being a bit more tired in in the car- althoug less flustered.

You flying easyslut?

Don't get me wrong I love driving over.

But 100+ gallons of fuel is a lot of beer tokens and our youngest wants to go on an aeroplane.

Besides now we can fly from Bristol we can get up early, have a leisurely breakfast at the airport, and be in Zermatt for a late lunch. Grab the sledges, gluwein at Furi, early evening beer and mischief at the Hennu Stall and back down to Zermatt by torchlight. Get the Kids to bed and then down to "The Pipe" to meet my mates for a gallon of nasty Cardinal Beer. :)

Will, no offence meant!

my kids love being in the back of the series with the roof and door tops off. no need for beer when you can drink in all that mountain fresh air.Drive all day on tracks to die for, pull over when it starts to get dark... pitch up camp.

Sit round a camp fire high in the mountains toasting marshmellows and baking spuds looking at the space stations flying by.finding a ice cold mountain stream to fill the kettle etc.

Wake up to stunning views first thing every morning?explore the many abandoned forts..........

Makes the driving on road well worth it and the ferries only £58!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have i tempted you????????????????? :D:D:D:D

Just read somewhere recently the French police in the Alps are clamping down on cars carrying no chains. Make sure you're carrying a set and have a practice with them at home before you go.

Neighbour just come back from their place in the Alps last weekend. Minus 27!!! They said they were more cars on the back of recovery trucks with frozen diesel than driving on the road. Pack a jumper!

Will, no offence meant!

my kids love being in the back of the series with the roof and door tops off. no need for beer when you can drink in all that mountain fresh air.Drive all day on tracks to die for, pull over when it starts to get dark... pitch up camp.

Sit round a camp fire high in the mountains toasting marshmellows and baking spuds looking at the space stations flying by.finding a ice cold mountain stream to fill the kettle etc.

Wake up to stunning views first thing every morning?explore the many abandoned forts..........

Makes the driving on road well worth it and the ferries only £58!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have i tempted you????????????????? :D:D:D:D

No offence taken, I don't need any tempting. I am with you on that count, as soon as my boys have toughened up a bit we will be making more of an adventure of our holidays. Young Henry (4) is still very fond of his comforts bless him.

I am hoping this trip (Henrys first abroad) will transform him. Thomas at 6 is a seasoned traveller he swans through Geneva airport with his skis over his shoulders like a pro, he even cracks a smile on the Swiss womens faces.

Kev- I have been keeping an eye on the weather and it has been f'in cold. I had frostbite at -27 once, not much fun when its that cold and windy.

Kev- I have been keeping an eye on the weather and it has been f'in cold. I had frostbite at -27 once, not much fun when its that cold and windy.

Indeed. The couple were saying one of friends staying with them got 'bitten' on a couple fingers. Nothing serious but enough to change colour and start to hurt . They also noticed one of their party's speech started slurring late one day suggesting they were starting to display one of the first signs of hypothermia.

And i thought skiing was supposed to be fun?

My kind of country, but unfortunately I'll be heading further north this year. Iceland.

Kev if you need someone to bring a beaten up 110 or a P38a or a SWB series three on your expense account I am your man ;)

I want to go to Iceland so badly it hurts.

Kev if you need someone to bring a beaten up 110 or a P38a or a SWB series three on your expense account I am your man ;)

I want to go to Iceland so badly it hurts.

Luckily for me, my in-laws took girlf and I to iceland about 18 months ago.

We had the most amazing time- saw northern lights, geysir going off (a biggie which is a really rare occurance), amazing scenery, lovely people, went glacier bashing in some of the really huge jeeps (yeah i know but i couldn't find a landy anywhere!).

The best bit of all is that they hired a Terrano with lifted susp, snorkel, and raised breathers, and a touch more power. it was amazingly well mannered and i was very impressed, i guess seeing as it had beam axles, lo box, centre diff lock, 33" BFG ATs and traction control i shouldn't have been so surprised. Anyway, because i was the only one that wnated to drive i spent nearly 5 days without hitting a road. We must have driven across hundreds of rivers, through muddy bogs, over miles of lava fieds, across the nose of a glacier, along a very very deep river (with me ****ting myself as the bonnet disappeared underwatre but telling everyone everything was fine- arse puckering time when you lose grip and start to float!), and drove across all sorts of other delights too! Truly amazing off road experience.

The place is brilliant, expensive, very expensive, but brilliant. People loevly, food extremely tasty (but expensive- took 4 of us out for pizza at a motel, and spent 65 squids on 4 beers and 4 pizzas!). Off roading trully amazing- if yo go, then go to Llanmallalagar, it's a lovely thermal spring in the middle, and the two times i went, there were gangs of very tasty uni girls Skinny dipping!! The women are beautiful!

go as soon as you can.

I am going to go back when the next volcanic eruption takes place- the last one was under their largest galcier- after 3 months of eruptions the whole glacier was lifted up 1 metre by the force of melting ice-water, and some stupid figure like 1 million cubic kilometres of water was released in 1 hour. The devastation is still their today and is downright scary!

Did i mention it was quite expensive?

did i mention how fit the women are?