1999 Freelander 1.8 engine fades,loss of power

kwerrett

I have just replace the head gasket on a friends 1.8 Freelander, about the 6th one I have done on different 1.8 freelanders. As is usual being a friends vehicle it has now another problem. I used the modified gasket and shim, new timing belt also. It drives well, warms up OK, no overpressure in the system.

However after about 40 miles or so it starts to act as if its running out of fuel, the engine loses all power and no matter how far down on the throttle your foot is the engine just wants to cough ad splutter. A bit like having the intercooler hose off on a turbo, no power but the engine will idle. Switch off and restart and it revs ok for a few seconds then does the same again. This only happens when its hot, cold start is good.

Must add that after I did the headgasket the owner fitted a new exhaust system and cat, aftermarket cheap version. I mentioned this to him as it seems like that blocked exhuast type fault but he didn't want to believe that it could be a problem.

I feel pretty bad about the way its running but I feel that the head and timing belt job are a seperate item from this fault. All vacuum hoses are good and in place, all electrical block connections are good also.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The coolant sensor for the ECU is a good suggestion, the fact your temperature gauge is indicating the engine is warm means the gauge sensor works, I don't know if the FL has a separate ECU coolant sensor though or where it might be.

Catalyst seems unlikely, the lambda sensor is before the cat so changing it would have no effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Freelander does something similar, again only after its been running for ages and only if its below half a tank of fuel.

It comes on suddenly usually when travelling consistantly at motorway type speeds, if you can top the fuel up the problem goes away, if not its limp home at tickover or leave it for an hour and start off again as if nothing was wrong.

Its bloody irritating when it happens but I try to keep the tank over half full and then its fine. No doubt sooner or later someone will know exactly whats causing it :) anyway now the 110s back I'm not driving the Freelander so its not my problem ;)

Will

• 1 month later...
I have just replace the head gasket on a friends 1.8 Freelander, about the 6th one I have done on different 1.8 freelanders. As is usual being a friends vehicle it has now another problem. I used the modified gasket and shim, new timing belt also. It drives well, warms up OK, no overpressure in the system.

However after about 40 miles or so it starts to act as if its running out of fuel, the engine loses all power and no matter how far down on the throttle your foot is the engine just wants to cough ad splutter. A bit like having the intercooler hose off on a turbo, no power but the engine will idle. Switch off and restart and it revs ok for a few seconds then does the same again. This only happens when its hot, cold start is good.

Must add that after I did the headgasket the owner fitted a new exhaust system and cat, aftermarket cheap version. I mentioned this to him as it seems like that blocked exhuast type fault but he didn't want to believe that it could be a problem.

I feel pretty bad about the way its running but I feel that the head and timing belt job are a seperate item from this fault. All vacuum hoses are good and in place, all electrical block connections are good also.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Has anyone just tried changing the fuel cap? Maybe causing vacuum in tank? Ours does the same. If you leave it for a couple of minutes it starts again. Just leave the cap off to release the pressure. Have tried this on our other freelander and that fuel cap is fine, never has a build up of pressure when you take the cap off.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone just tried changing the fuel cap? Maybe causing vacuum in tank? Ours does the same. If you leave it for a couple of minutes it starts again. Just leave the cap off to release the pressure. Have tried this on our other freelander and that fuel cap is fine, never has a build up of pressure when you take the cap off.

thats a good one

and check also the mesh filter in tank

I had a power loss problem - was going round in circles trying to find it - finally stripped down fuel pump took out filter and back flushed it with clean fuel - the carp that came out was UNBELIEVABLE - did this till it ran clean - reassembled and hey presto no probs since ( touch wood ) - took about 30 mins start to finish - would be worth doing even if it isnt the sole cause of your grief

good luck

B)

• 4 months later...
I had a power loss problem - was going round in circles trying to find it - finally stripped down fuel pump took out filter and back flushed it with clean fuel - the carp that came out was UNBELIEVABLE - did this till it ran clean - reassembled and hey presto no probs since ( touch wood ) - took about 30 mins start to finish - would be worth doing even if it isnt the sole cause of your grief

good luck

B)

:ph34r: i am at this moment fighting with the same problem have had it in the local garage and i have passed on this info on here and hes pretty sure that it is the fact there is no fuel filter on the tank and the carp is passed throught also a lot of vaccumm pressure in the tank means starving the engine also checking the pump.

heres hoping this is our first problem and hope the last have had the car 2wks. oops.

1.8i xei lmt special edition 98 , starting to under stand the special part.

THANKS FOR THE INFO IT HAS REALLY HELPED ME at this moment .

• 5 months later...