VM 2500 TD

Chaos

Hi Guys,

I have just been offered a series II fitted with the italian Diesel Engine, VM 2500 TD. I have not been able to source much information on this engine, can you peeps give me some pointers on the good and bad points of this engine,

Thanks in advance

Thanks Guys,

Bit undecided now, but as Bog Monster says if its cheap.....................

If you pm me your email address, ill send you a copy of the workshop manual.

The head gasket is prone to go on number 4 cylinder, but its not a hard job to change. A mate had the 2.4VM in a RR pulled like a train.

Do you know if the VM engine used a L/R Gearbox and bell housing, and did the VM pick up on the existing engine mounts,

If cheap enough I am thinking of re-engineing,

What would be a good alternative 200/300 tdi V8/V6

Years ago someone was putting the VM and gearbox from a rover SD1 car into series landrovers by welding the drop gear onto the back of the SD1 box and then bolting it up to the series transfer box with a weld on adapter, I wonder if this is one of those?

If the cooling is good they take plenty of abuse :rolleyes: before they die!

IIRC, part of the problem with head failures was down to the (lack of) height of the header tank above the heads. This allowed air pockets to form and parts of the heads to run locally hot.

If this engine is a known good runner, it might be worth trying to arrange for the header tank to be as high on the bulkhead as possible, and for any bleed hoses from the heads to rise up to it. This should minimise the risk of overheating.

Hi Guys,

Went to see the L/R today and am afraid to say it was a bit of a shed,from chassis down all was good,unusual to say that,

But bulkhead, doors, roof all suffered from lack of use(been parked up 4 years) the Vm diesel lacked power and would not rev above 2500 and smoked probably why it hadn't had an Mot in 4 years,

pity really as it had a interesting bit of history to it,

Made a pitiful offer on it as I would really like to re-engine it to a motor better suited, up to him now,

Thanks for advice and especially "mpb" for letting me have the workshop manual,

See you on the Muddy Stuff.... :P :P :P