V6 over heating

nas90

Good friend of mine has an 00 model V6

Spent loads on heater / auto box etc etc

Now overheats after 5 miles from cold with water spewing out of the expansion tank

Top hose hot bottom hose cold and the diagnosis is thermostat problem

Had a hydrocarbons check using a sensor screwed onto the expansion tank which turns to yellow and shows hydrocarbons / head gasket failure but this proved negative

Anyone with experience of this problem? Is there any tech archive material, done a quick search but nothing for Freelander?

Dave

Not had a problem with a V6 but similar symptoms on a rover engine....

airlock in engine block and water does not circulate but pressurises in the system and then has to find somewhere to go.

don't want to teach granny to suck eggs but is there a vent on the engine block to release air?

Not had a problem with a V6 but similar symptoms on a rover engine....

airlock in engine block and water does not circulate but pressurises in the system and then has to find somewhere to go.

don't want to teach granny to suck eggs but is there a vent on the engine block to release air?

Me know nothink about Freelanders :(

Defenders and V8's then I can probably get by, according to my friend the stat is buried under the plenum / inlet maybe Les has experience of removing the stat, I'll maybe PM him.

If it's anything like the 1.8 there's various bleed points in the system, if it's run low or spat the coolant you'll need to bleed it all.

It's recently had a new heater (whole front dash out!) and most of the hoses replaced.

Is there history with the V6 giving air lock problems?

Could be good starting point

• 3 weeks later...
Stat's got to be an easier & cheaper starting point than anything else.

Apparently the stat is a 10 hour replacement job given that one a miss, stats are so simple but is the V6 stat simple?

Latest attempt of diagnosis is the water pump. By all accounts they have plastic impellers which come apart. Still means taking the timing belt off so might as well replace at same time with 60K plus miles. Blooming silly engine having to take one half of the engine apart to replace the water pump and the other half to replace a thermostat :(

Give me the old V8 any day :P

Apparently the stat is a 10 hour replacement job given that one a miss, stats are so simple but is the V6 stat simple?

Latest attempt of diagnosis is the water pump. By all accounts they have plastic impellers which come apart. Still means taking the timing belt off so might as well replace at same time with 60K plus miles. Blooming silly engine having to take one half of the engine apart to replace the water pump and the other half to replace a thermostat :(

Give me the old V8 any day :P

Bearer of bad news I'M afraid.

We bought an 52 plate V6 ES auto five years ago thinking that the head problems were only on the 1.8's. The car was two years old with 23000 miles on the clock. After 3 months the problems started with overheating and after three visits to the dealer because of overheating they eventually conceeeded the head gaskets were gone. We had a new engine installed under warranty. We owned the car for nine months, three of which were in the dealer being repaired. We traded it in for a TD4

A mate of mine had a V6 that was always over heating and it was something silly and backwards and forwards to the garage

They did change everything and it still did it and progressed to the oil seals starting to blow as well.

They did sort it in the end but not before changing gaskets and water pumps and several other parts which made no difference.

Stunning Services in Bournemouth eventually sorted it out but I don't know what it was but Pete has experience with these engines 07809273943