fuel sedimenter/egg yolk

pinny

as the topic says where does this egg yoke substance come from i cleaned the sedimenter about 9 months ago. and today ive got about an inch of this muck which does appear to float on the diesel, so my question is does this jelly come from the diesel or is there more in my tank does anybody get this thanks. chris

It comes from frosen diesel.Its probably in your tank aswell.

Sometimes when the "summer" diesel gets below 0 Celsius it turns into a yellowish gel that stays into that form even when you heat it up to 100 Celsius.Thats why its thinned out in the wintertime over here in Norway

It is what is known as "waxing" a common problem with summer diesel exposed to cold temps.

I have a particularly lovely jar of diesel somewhere which when warm looks normal, when it is near freezing is 3/4 solid, you can turn it upside down and it stays at the bottom of the jar :)

Fuel filters don't much like it either...

It is what is known as "waxing" a common problem with summer diesel exposed to cold temps.

I have a particularly lovely jar of diesel somewhere which when warm looks normal, when it is near freezing is 3/4 solid, you can turn it upside down and it stays at the bottom of the jar :)

Fuel filters don't much like it either...

thanks for the replies about a year ago we had red diesel on a site which was contaminated with a bug apparently this lives in diesel has anybody heard of this or is it rubbish, chris

thanks for the replies about a year ago we had red diesel on a site which was contaminated with a bug apparently this lives in diesel has anybody heard of this or is it rubbish, chris

"Diesel Bug" is very real, it grows on the boundry between diesel and water in a tank, and as such, is most common where fuel is stored for long periods, and on boats, where there's generally a lot of water/dampness around.

"Diesel Bug" is very real, it grows on the boundry between diesel and water in a tank, and as such, is most common where fuel is stored for long periods, and on boats, where there's generally a lot of water/dampness around.

having read a few stories about this bug i suppose a sedimenter is a good place for this to thrive re a little water maybe ill clean it out more often chris

I remember a bug from my RAF days, it was called Cladosporum diformae IIRC. It will live in any water at the bottom of the tank, which is why we checked the tanks for water every day. Eats its way through aluminium chop chop; quite a few aeroplanes have had to be scrapped because of it as the tanks are the wings. I remember we had to look for black flecks in the kerosene drained from the bottom of the tanks, so it is not your cream stuff, but it could be a relative ;)

I remember a bug from my RAF days, it was called Cladosporum diformae IIRC. It will live in any water at the bottom of the tank, which is why we checked the tanks for water every day. Eats its way through aluminium chop chop; quite a few aeroplanes have had to be scrapped because of it as the tanks are the wings. I remember we had to look for black flecks in the kerosene drained from the bottom of the tanks, so it is not your cream stuff, but it could be a relative ;)
nice one jim the only way to describe it was a greyish white sludge similar to a rotten egg but the aluminium was good inside oviously corroded outside couldnt be in a better place put it back on and gave the outside a coat of waxoyl ill check it in a week to see if anything is back thanks for your reply, chris.