V8 induction roar with K+N filters

I have two Greens on mine instead. Now the exhaust is a little quieter, I can hear the induction roar a little, but that soon gets overwhelmed when you hit the loud pedal. I guess if you have a really quiet exhaust, the induction roar could get a little annoying. But if you have a cherry bomb like me, that induction roar is the least of your concerns.. :P

I have two Greens on mine instead. Now the exhaust is a little quieter, I can hear the induction roar a little, but that soon gets overwhelmed when you hit the loud pedal. I guess if you have a really quiet exhaust, the induction roar could get a little annoying. But if you have a cherry bomb like me, that induction roar is the least of your concerns.. :P

What size cherry bomb and where is it?

I mean how long is it and is it at the end of the pipe or in the middle ?

And does it sound nice or just loud

Ta. :D

I think the cherry bomb is about 3" diameter and it's located just under the passenger seat.

Have a listen here:

Inside, the reverberation is a bit much, but some dumpster-diving at General George gas given it a bit of silence thanks to some discarded underlay :)

I fitted some more sounds insulation sticky-stuff that I bought off ebay as well, but I'm yet to take it out to try it...

In short, if you do a lot of road miles - don't touch it. If it's mostly off-road and you like watching everyone turn round when you hit the loud pedal, go for it :)

K&N Induction roar is the sound of millions of dust particles, twigs and smaller mammals being sucked into your engine :ph34r:

K+N filters better than standard and the off road dune buggy thingys in the states swear by them for filtering the dust out. They are noisey because the silencing effect of the original air box is removed. :P

K+N filters better than standard and the off road dune buggy thingys in the states swear by them for filtering the dust out. They are noisey because the silencing effect of the original air box is removed. :P

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please stop my sides can't take it

K&N are for chav motors, for off road use you may as well run no filter at all as much as run them,

they are absolutely useless, pointless, and if you want to seriously damage your engine and reduce its life due to poor filtration go right ahead

Nige

Was repeating information I got via U.S. off road videos from the eighties.

A few points about this:

- Race / rally / comp engines get serviced after every event, and stripped and rebuilt pretty regularly. They get thrashed to death and are far more likely to explode through abuse before they've racked up enough mileage to worry about wear due to dirt ingress.

- If K&N sponsor your race team, of course you're going to sing their praises.

- Very few people will admit that, having spent £50+ on a swanky "performance" component, they either aren't getting any great benefit or are actually worse off. The placebo effect with such things can be very strong.

And I didn't buy mine to improve performance, as a turbo diesel doesn't suck air in, it is blown in. The fact was that in 1996 the local filter manufacturers here did not make a 300Tdi filter. What I didn't know is that the 200Tdi one will fit in the canister and is actually better - we always use GUD ADG505s in 200 and 300Tdis now. And of course you had to sell a kidney to buy a genuine LR filter. That was the problem I was avoiding by having a filter with a 'million mile guarantee'. What they omitted to say was the guarantee was on the filter, not the engine :(

And I didn't buy mine to improve performance, as a turbo diesel doesn't suck air in, it is blown in. The fact was that in 1996 the local filter manufacturers here did not make a 300Tdi filter. What I didn't know is that the 200Tdi one will fit in the canister and is actually better - we always use GUD ADG505s in 200 and 300Tdis now. And of course you had to sell a kidney to buy a genuine LR filter. That was the problem I was avoiding by having a filter with a 'million mile guarantee'. What they omitted to say was the guarantee was on the filter, not the engine :(

I hear what you are saying and the k+n idea was , to me , an easy option to get shut of that big oval box rattling about on top of the engine and at the same time renew the paper filters which are past their best. the original filter box also draws hot air in off the top of the engine and is in the hot airstream from the rad. I intend to give the engine a cold air feed from somewhere (I had a pipe from the wing vent thing as a stopgap but it was very small)

I have never bought a K+N and have been racing cars at pauper level for years, my theory is that the only reason a K+N flows better than a standard filter is because it is derestricted by removing the airbox, not sure of its filtering qualities as I've never tested one but word on the street was that they are the mutts nuts :rolleyes: . I used to use a filter from a bigger engine and give it a cold air feed and always got good results. Can't do that with the V8 as there is nowhere to put it without cluttering up the engine bay.

I once used the space where the heater was on a Mini for a big filter and cold air was fed in via the fresh air system then to the carb.

So what to do? it's a bit difficult with having two carbs to feed and having the gas as well so have to keep the 'C' shaped ally tubes, would like some induction noise so air filter box is out unless I use a plastic one from a big car and drill big holes in it but then rigging up the feeds on a budget is difficult.

I have two big cone K+Ns in the garage which will fit (one off a Caterham and another)and have thought of heatshield and cold air feed, just filter efficiency now that is bugging me after the info off here.

What to do. :unsure:

word on the street was that they are the mutts nuts :rolleyes:

Word on the street is also that 4" big-bore exhausts are the dogs danglies on your 1.0 Saxo and that dropping your car to 1mm off the tarmac improves handling. The tuning mags are as bad as the Land Rover comics for plugging carp they get sent, I knew a guy who used to work on one of them and all they ever did was phone round asking for free stuff in return for saying how great it was.

How many car or truck manufacturers spec K&N type filters?

Word on the street is also that 4" big-bore exhausts are the dogs danglies on your 1.0 Saxo and that dropping your car to 1mm off the tarmac improves handling. The tuning mags are as bad as the Land Rover comics for plugging carp they get sent, I knew a guy who used to work on one of them and all they ever did was phone round asking for free stuff in return for saying how great it was.

How many car or truck manufacturers spec K&N type filters?

point taken :rolleyes:

The boys I know who want K+N (I'm 60 BTW) really want the induction noise, I've given it to a few of them by drilling two inch holes in the plastic air box which sounds in most cases , better than a posh filter.

I want induction noise and filtration and the spare filters I have seemed like a good idea, :blink: ....Think I'll flog them off and have another think :)