Defender 90 - No brake lights

Juz

Hi all,

Was told on my way to work this morning, that I have no brake lights. Am I right in thinking it's one of 3 things:

Fuse

Both Bulbs (at the same time!)

Brake light switch

Anything I've missed?

Oh, I was off roading a bit yesterday, so everything got a good old shake.

Juz

Turn the ignition on, disconnect the two wires from the switch and join them together, If the brake lights come on, the switch is faulty. With the ignition switched on, one of the wires to the brake light switch is live. If no brake lights after bypassing the switch, check the bulbs, the earth connection, and the live supply at the bulb sockets. A simple test light can be made or you can buy one for for less than a fiver and they are very handy. It's fairly common for both bulbs to pop - one shortly after the other.

Les.

Hi all,

Was told on my way to work this morning, that I have no brake lights. Am I right in thinking it's one of 3 things:

Fuse

Both Bulbs (at the same time!)

Brake light switch

Anything I've missed?

Oh, I was off roading a bit yesterday, so everything got a good old shake.

Juz

could be cheapo bulb holders which mine were marked as wipac, from paddocks. o.k on sidelights 5W but if the brakes were on for any amount of time the cheapo plastic holders melted allowing the bulbs to "pop out" under pressure from the spring. :o

or if you have a older landy the glass fuses are marked for holding current rather than the blow current of the blade fuses.

I thought newer blade fused land rovers had seperate 5 amp fuses for left and right side light circuits. and another for the brake lights and fog lights.

Update - wires to the brake light switch had melted.

Removed the switch and joined the wires, brake lights came on, but the wires got VERY hot.

Bugger - I hate finding electrical faults!

Any known faults with this circuit?

Juz

Check the loom to the rear, it runs through the chassis and can chafe & short. 7-core trailer cable run outside the chassis is an easy solution for replacement.

Thanks Fridge.

If I put a multi-meter across the 2 wires from the brake light switch and turn on the ignition, what should I see:

Volts

Amps

Ohms

Or am I off track and should be trying to find the problem elsewhere? I agree it's a chaffed wire giving a short to earth, but have no idea how to identify where this is.

Juz