Disco II TD5 engine removal

Fruit_uk

I an dismantling a disco II for parts to build a new desert race car. Funny but the build doesn't bother me, yet, but am facing taking out the engine, gearbox, stearing column and other bits and would welcome some advice.

Is there a description of taking the engine out anywhere, have done it on a defender 300TDi and apart from some bolts being a pain it went ok.

Thanks guys

There much the same as the 300TDi just a few more wires to be honest.

If you have done a 300TDI then i cant see you having a problem with the TD5.

If you need some trickery to get rid of the horible BCU that is in the discovery so you can go back to basics for your race car give me a shout :)

And of course if you need mapping i can help to.

Regards Pete

I think Haynes gives instructions for removing the engine.

Cheers

Andy

Honest? Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but half a day under the bl**dy car puts you in that sort of mood, right now can't get hold of a haynes for disco 2 locally so thats why I came to the forum. You'll learn when you've been around a bit.

Thanks to the others for the helpful suggestions, am getting there

Cheers ;o)

I had the engine out of my 01 Td5 recently to do clutch etc - the Rave does cover it but it's all over the place in the Rave and a bit hard to follow .

There are 2 lifting eyes - as you look in from the front one is near the front of the head (to your right ) and the other is at the rear (to your left as you look in ) . The rear eye was missing from my engine and the main dlr got me one .

When refitting I had to make up a lifting eye and attach it to the head at the back on the same side as the front eye in order to get the angle right .

I see you have the engine out but it might help someone else .

I had the engine out of my 01 Td5 recently to do clutch etc - the Rave does cover it but it's all over the place in the Rave and a bit hard to follow .

There are 2 lifting eyes - as you look in from the front one is near the front of the head (to your right ) and the other is at the rear (to your left as you look in ) .

Cheers for the reply, we slung a rope under the rear as it did not have the eye. Got hold of a copy of Rave but the info was confusing to say the least, it had me looking for about 4 nonexistent bell housing bolts for a start. Getting the gearbox out was a bit of a fight, - no problem just it is a big heavy thing - we took the rear x member out but left the front in to support the box on. When we got the box on the floor we had fun jacking up the front of the car then pushing it (the car) away from the box, unconventional but it worked.

The only slight problem we had in the end was the flange on a pipe (passenger side) that goes around the rear of the engine binding against the bell housing, solved by taking the pipe off

I would say you recall correctly bogmonster - I had to actually take off one of the heater hoses to fit the lifting eye .

I used a piece of flat iron to make a lifting eye which I fitted on the other side of the head when refitting as I just couldn't get the engine at the correct position using the existing eyes .

I must say that the TD5 manuals are monuments to complete confusion. Nothing is in the right order, you get the stuff on putting the engine back together before the bits on taking it apart and some things seem to be missing altogether. Or maybe they are hidden in there under 'emission controls' or some other confusing heading.

And if you want a good laugh, read the bit on how to remove the ignition lock from a Disco II. It would take about a day if you did it 'by the book', instead of the 5 minutes it actually takes if you use a screwdriver and a hammer.