Grinding noise at 70km/h

Hi.

Ive been asking around for helo at various workshops in both sweden and iceland, but everyone tells me its a landrover problem (aka nothing to do about it, and no one knows why). Since you guys seems to know your thing, i thought you might be able to help.

The problem:

When driving in 70-75km/h in any gear, a hi metallic grinding noise accore. It dosent mater which gear Im on as a long as I haven't engaged the clutch. I would have guessed the front axel, because the noise seems to come from the lower front of the car. But then its a bit weird that it only occurs between 70-75km/h and at any engine spin rate (dont know the name of it).

The car:

A 1992 Defender 110 with the 300tdi with around 15 000miles on it. A wicked engine by the way.

By the way, if you going to have your car rebuilt or repaired Iceland is a perfect place, good mechanics, cheep, nice people and a lot of experience

Something I noticed in your post was that you say it happens no matter what gear as long as the clutch is *NOT* engaged...

I take it the noise happens when you press the clutch down?

Makes me think of Clutch Release Bearing - although I could have just misunderstood your post. When I replaced my last clutch as the bearing was "running in" it made a similar noise, it only did it for around 100 miles on and off, never done it since.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Matt

Nice with so many respones.

Well the noise is only present when the clutch is not engaged, I mean when Im stepping on the gas pedal not the clutch. I dont think its the wheel bearings because it sounds more like its coming from the engine, and only in certain speeds. Also i noticed that there is a weaker but still grinding noise (quite similar sound) when I drive in hi speed, and release the gas pedal without stepping on the clutch (the engine usually brakes a little).

Ill have a look at the propeller shaft this weekend and let you know what I found. Thanks for the help so far.

When driving in 70-75km/h in any gear, a hi metallic grinding noise accore. It dosent mater which gear Im on as a long as I haven't engaged the clutch. I would have guessed the front axel, because the noise seems to come from the lower front of the car. But then its a bit weird that it only occurs between 70-75km/h and at any engine spin rate (dont know the name of it).

Hi isborn

sounds a lot like what I was experiencing, although mine was at 60kmh, irrespective of gear or rpms.

You will need to replace the front propshaft, that should sort it out. If you have lifted the suspension then you might have to go for a Disco2 propshaft because of the steeper angle on the propshaft.

Is it safe to remove the front propeller shaft and only drive on the back propshaft, to test if the noise disappears? Or can it make any damage on the car?

perfectly safe, my mechanic did it both ways - first he removed the rear one and drove on front wheels only. then the removed the front one and drove on rear wheels only.

of course, once you remove either propshaft, you have to engage the CDL to be able to drive ;)