side lights

blacky

my left hand side lights fuse has blown and blew new one straight away, i guess it a wire worn through i've checked the lights them selves and are ok has anyone experianced this before or could you give me the most likely place to look for dodgy bit of wire where it could have worn through the casing, wanted to try and sort out as going to LRO show tommorow night after work and as its getting dark early wanted to get it sorted!!

I would check the bulb holder first - they corrode like mad. Take the bulb out, replace the fuse, and switch the sidelights on. If the fuse doesn't blow, then the bulb holder is the problem.

Les.

ive taken the bulb out and it seems ok and the brake light still works on the left side so i'm guesing the back light holder is ok, and the front didn't look corroded to me!!

could you give me the most likely place to look for dodgy bit of wire

Inside the chassis rail where the loom runs to the rear... that's what happened to me. You can bypass at the multiplug at the bulkhead and then run a wire thru the interior to the rear flappy thing that covers the wiring behind the lights...

Bodge on

Giles

examine the wiring from the front lights back towards the bulkhead, as it lies on the inner wing it moves around & can chaff down to bare wires & then shorts out on the inner wing & blows the fuse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as western says but near the interior heater box as the loom goes round there

dave

One of my wires had worn through under the wing. Check the length of the wiring loom here & pop some insulation tape on areas that rub against the bodywork.

Martin

examine the wiring from the front lights back towards the bulkhead, as it lies on the inner wing it moves around & can chaff down to bare wires & then shorts out on the inner wing & blows the fuse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

as western and martin ( :unsure::(:unsure: ) says but near the interior heater box as the loom goes round there too

dave

sorry now reposted :D

• 2 months later...

to access the wiring for front lights, open bonnet & look over the frint wing edge, it lies as I described above & drops down to the rear of the front lights, you'll need a torch to see it better or remove the front lights & headlight bowl & work through that hole.

to access the wiring for front lights, open bonnet & look over the frint wing edge, it lies as I described above & drops down to the rear of the front lights, you'll need a torch to see it better or remove the front lights & headlight bowl & work through that hole.

I managed to get that far but couldn't see anything obvious so either it's behind the inner wing, which looks pretty well wrapped at both ends where it can be seen, or it's the rear lights from where I've changed teh xmember.

I was thinking that if I can isolate the rear or front lights then I can narrow down the search.

it's behind the inner wing. if you take the head light unit out you'll be able to get to the earth wire which is bolted to the inner wing undo that, disconnect the lights, tie a bit of string to the loom, pull the loom through from the bulkhead end do your repair and pull it back through using the string you pulled through earlier. same on both sides and you can do this on the chassis harness that runs through the cahssis.

the rear harness connector is located near the fuel filter. the front lights wiring is part of the main harness so no connector. hope this helps.