kick down cable

robhybrid

I am about to make up some brackets to mount my kick down cable.

Has anyone got any pictures of how they fitted theirs to their diesel engine?

Even better can anyone remember how it is fitted on a izusu conversion?

I am contimplating making a bracket/lever that will enable me to alter the tenion on the cick down cable whilst I am on the move, The plan is that I can then chose weather the cick down occours or not, should allow me to have more throttle(poss power) in each gear. :blink:

Has anyone done the above modification?

Can anyone tell me why this would not be a good idea?

I am about to make up some brackets to mount my kick down cable.

Has anyone got any pictures of how they fitted theirs to their diesel engine?

Even better can anyone remember how it is fitted on a izusu conversion?

I am contimplating making a bracket/lever that will enable me to alter the tenion on the cick down cable whilst I am on the move, The plan is that I can then chose weather the cick down occours or not, should allow me to have more throttle(poss power) in each gear. :blink:

Has anyone done the above modification?

Can anyone tell me why this would not be a good idea?

IIRC Jez did his straight off the throttle cable, that way it doesn't change up until you lift off.

Hang on a minute, one of the joys of the auto box is that it chooses the best gear for the load on the engine - if you are attacking a steep hill climb it may start in 1st but will change up to 2nd, or third as necessary and back down again all the while minimizing wheelspin but never stalling the engine.

Why would you want to rev the cojones off the engine by keeping it in gear? You can do that by selecting a gear rather than messing with the kickdown.

Just my 2p. :)

Although mine is on a V8 rather than a diesel, the same applies:

I'm using a 4 sp box on a 3.5 engine - it should be driven by a 3.9 efi. If you use the standard kick-down linkage, all the change points are in the wrong place and it is dreadful to drive.

I made a lever where, by winding a carrage up & down a screw thread, I can change the ratio of how much the kick-down cable moves for a given movement of throttle cable. It also allows the slack to be adjusted using the nuts on the end of the kick-down cable.

It took a fair bit of experimentation to find a ratio and amount of slack which suits the engine & my right foot.

Having the kick-down adjustable from the cab is an interesting idea - but I'm not sure how practical it's going to be. Probably better to leave it unconnected and use the manual 1,2,3 on the lever if you want a lower gear.

Si

Why not have a look at the proper factory 300Tdi auto Discovery kickdown arrangement, should give you some ideas?

looked at a 300 auto last night there is 50mm movement in the cick down cable from off throttle to full throttle.

the kick down cable has 4 positions allowing the cable to be mounted between (approx) 70mm and 90mm from the pivot point of the throttle lever.

the throttle lever is (approx) 55mm from the pivot point on the fuel pump.