What's the best diesel engine to fit to LR?

Tony Jones

As above really, what is the best Diesel engine for power, torque, tunability and dependability to fit into the chassis of a 109?

I have lots of mechanical parts lying about and fancy doing something very rugged looking and want to break out of the petrol habit :lol: I've seen lots talked about portal axles which i think would be very hard to get hold of or even toyota axles via an SOA conversion. Sorry to whoever was the owner for not remembering your name but I saw a 109 truck cab, had a massive diesel engine and it looked fantastic, I have a sneaky suspicion it had portals though.

I have a Land Rover ex 109 FC chassis lying unused and in pretty good condition although the Series Three FC Fire Tender parts were previously stripped off before I bought it for parts. Can't abide parts just lying about rotting and then needing to be cut up for scrap, it really offends my sensibilities!! :lol:

What do you guys reckon is the best Diesel engine to use?

Best IMHO would be a 200tdi. Relatively easy to fit, easy to come by at low cost and offers a good increase in power over the series engines whilst not being too heavy and screwing up the handling.

I'm told the old montego turbo diesel conversion is also good, but the engines have got to be getting hard to find now as most old montegos must have been scrapped long ago!

Jon

a most underated engine in a landy is the 2.8 tdi daihatsu engine had one in a 109", was fantastically reliable, good on diesel and went like the wind, downside was the conversion kit was a bit carp to say the least, several times the studs for the starter motor ripped out, so retapped them, eventually I ended up drilling all the way through and used long bolts and lock nuts solved the problem

a most underated engine in a landy is the 2.8 tdi daihatsu engine had one in a 109", was fantastically reliable, good on diesel and went like the wind, downside was the conversion kit was a bit carp to say the least, several times the studs for the starter motor ripped out, so retapped them, eventually I ended up drilling all the way through and used long bolts and lock nuts solved the problem

I agree, just fitted one to my Series 3 88", easy conversion, conversion plate was purchased from Precision Engineering, I have not suffered from the starter motor woes with this kit. Engine mounts, all bolts etc supplied. Ditch the Daihatsu alt though, and fitted Landy one, the Dai one with external voltage reg is a pain to say the least.

Anyway, landy goes like s*** of a shovel, and doner car car cost £200 a lot of which I got back in selling parts on e bay.. ;)

Steve M:

Yep, I think that's the one, big cummins diesel, 6BT, whatever tht means :huh: Big, evil looking brute of a thing. Cheers for the link.

Les Hanson:

Sorry, didn't realise that was the case, it had been already covered very recently. :( Time to dig out the big spoon and eat my whack of humble pie. Sorry.

I think the 200Tdi is perhaps the easiest conversion as you can pick up duff Disco 1s + RR's Classics for about £300 as donor vehicles, it perhaps makes the best sense with relatively good economy. I love the idea of a big Duramax Diesel or similar but over here they're as rare as honest politicians.

I would love to get my hands on an Iceberg engine, the diesel engine that used the Rover V8 as the basis, would have loved to tinker with that and see what that'd have been like, pretty light for a diesel it being all aluminium.