Plasma

Paul Humphreys

Now that I have some :) How do I attach it to my Superwinch X9?

As with most winches you use a little thimble and screw. But on the X9 the wire rope passes thru the winch drum. So do I attach the plasma the same?

Paul

Does it go all the way through like an 8274? if so I used to tie a figure of 8 knot and this worked well.

If it's like an EP9 where it is a hole in drum that narrows and uses a grub screw to secure, I take out some of the threads and tape end of rope into a point and then insert and tighten with grub screw.

Cheers

Steve

X9 I guess will be like the Husky

and held on with an Allen key grub screw

you'll need to reduce the rope to go through the hole and tape the rope for the grub to bite into.

PS Shall I re advertise your wire rope and Send you the ££

pic shows he husky drum hole

IMG_0658.JPG

Following a sound piece of advice from Simon R I spliced a small eye in the end of my ropes.

When I fit the rope to the winch I put the eye through the fairlead, around the drum and back out through the fairlead. I then put the hook and all the rope through the eye and pull it up snug so I have the winch drum "lassoed" by the rope. A bit of duct tape to stop it spinning as you load the rope onto the drum and you're away.

This way, if you mistakenly let out too much rope on a descent, the wost that can happen is being left dangling from the end of the rope ratherer than hurtling downwards at a rate of knots! :lol::blink: .

Hi,

The best way to fit Plasma to an X9 is to do as you have done.

Tightly wrap it with insulating tape, if you have 9.5mm Plasma no strands need be removed, slip it through the drilled drum of the winch & tie a half hitch in it, trim off any excess line and the job is done.

Why make it any more complicated than it need be.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

Hi,

The best way to fit Plasma to an X9 is to do as you have done.

Tightly wrap it with insulating tape, if you have 9.5mm Plasma no strands need be removed, slip it through the drilled drum of the winch & tie a half hitch in it, trim off any excess line and the job is done.

Why make it any more complicated than it need be.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

Yes 9.5mm and one of yours Andy. But I did try to get it in without trimming, but it would not go. But all done now useing the grub screw, but I did think of doing it woth a knot as White90 said above.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Ok, please remember that the grub screw is designed to hold steel & not synthetic line. It will pull out a lot easier than steel wire so ensure you have a couple of extra wraps on the drum at all times. It will in fact pull right through the 12 strand construction of the synthetic quite easily if you get down to less than about 8/10 wraps.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Paul,

Ok, please remember that the grub screw is designed to hold steel & not synthetic line. It will pull out a lot easier than steel wire so ensure you have a couple of extra wraps on the drum at all times. It will in fact pull right through the 12 strand construction of the synthetic quite easily if you get down to less than about 8/10 wraps.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I knew that, but I have only used the winch once in 6 months :blink: . But if I do have a problem with it I will go the knot route. I do always try to leave the last layer of wire (as it was) on the drum anyway.

But thanks for the advice.

Paul

Following a sound piece of advice from Simon R I spliced a small eye in the end of my ropes.

When I fit the rope to the winch I put the eye through the fairlead, around the drum and back out through the fairlead. I then put the hook and all the rope through the eye and pull it up snug so I have the winch drum "lassoed" by the rope.

as LRE do