Steering Box Promblem?

Matthew

Hi all,

What does it feel like when your steering box is beginning to fail?

For some time now I've been able to feel a fair amount of play when going over things like tree routes proud of the tarmac, and this morning when taking a left hand corner; with the wheel held in the same place throughout the corner it felt like the wheels were still moving slightly because of some play in the steering system. About a year ago I replaced all ball joints and UJ's. I suspect the steering box because I have always had minor issues with the steering and when trying to adjust the play in the box it would appear at maximum adjustment already (Or incredibly tight!) I would imagine the steering box to be the original from 1986, fitted to a 90.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

I just replaced my box as mine was going stiff then loose and was having to correct my steering all the time in a straight line.

I also had panhard rod and radius arm bush issues that was giving some of my clonks, but a recon'd box transformed my steering.

I got mine from National Power Steering via paddocks, was all really quick (apart from beign sent a duff box but that was a one off issue) and Padocks collected my old box the day after I called them and I got my surcharge back within a week

Another steering question: when i turn my steering when not moving - eg when trying to get into parking space I hear a 'grinding noise' which I dont hear during normal use. Is this a sign the box is on the way out or is it something else (realise this is not the best of descriptions for diagnosis!)

check the swivels pre-loads.

It is great advice but Ralph, I always chuckle when I read "Steering Problem" threads as I can always see a reply from you saying the same thing :D, love it :D.

One question though - I can check them, but what on earth should they be in lbs?

If it's higher than X do I remove or add in Shims?

When it's higher than X it does Y and when it's lower than X it does Z?

If I remmember rightly, the last time I actually managed to find a quantative figure it was about 6lbs w/o the oil seal and 12lbs with it, this was on a Disco but as the Axles/chassis are pretty much the same are the preloads the same?

I couldn't find the number in a haynes manual and I don't have any sort of other service manual, I sort of rely on the tech archive on here if I can't do something :D.

Cheers

Matt

Things have got much worse since my first post, this afternoon my PAS pump has failed which isn't a major issue,steering is understandably heavy when moving at low speed, but it is also extremly heavy when moving at speed. If turning the steering wheel any further than the 2 oclock position it is almost impossible to turn!

Is it sounding like a box failure aswel?

If so, what is the strongest option for replacement?

Also, I've been through a few to many pumps already, what's the best pump to replace the standard? (I intend on having a hydro-assist setup in the future so a compatable pump and box would be nice, but need to get some steering sorted before my MOT expires on the 30th!)

Thanks again,

Matt