chaging visous coupling

fender1234

hi,

im going to have a go at at changing a visous coupling over the weekend as ive read that its fairly simple, dont supose anyone knows anything i should know before doing it. ive got the whole housing so im going to just swap the housings over, any tips/ instructions would be much appreciated

thanks

Not tackled that job but took this from Ashcroft Transmissions web site:

RRC, Workshop Manual, Section 41 Transfer Gearbox, Overhaul, Dismantle, Inspection & Overhaul.

You can either do this test on the bench or in the car with the handbrake on and one front wheel lifted.

Viscous unit - rolling resistance Bench check NOTE: Testing should be carried out in an ambient of 20 �C.

Secure the output shaft ...

Apply a clockwise torque of 27 Nm to the (front propshaft) output flange nut. If no resistance to turn is felt, unit requires replacing.

If resistance to turn is felt, apply a clockwise torque of 20Nm to the (front propshaft) output flange nut for 1 minute, this should result in a rotation of approximately 25� - 30�. If no rotation or a greater force is required, unit requires replacing.

27 Nm = 20 lbf-ft 20 Nm = 15 lbf-ft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

installation_instructions

How to fit a viscous coupling unit

1) Remove front prop shaft

2) Drain oil from transfer box

3) Support gearbox and remove right hand gearbox mount

4) Remove bolt holding Viscous Coupling housing to transfer box

5) Rotate, to break silicone, and remove Viscous Coupling housing

6) Remove flange nut and flange and press out Viscous Coupling

7) Clean all joint faces

8) Replace Viscous Coupling and reassemble in reverse order

Doesn't sound too ominous - good luck

If you haven't already found this out over the weekend, the BW transfer box is a heavy beasty, and a proper transmission jack (about £80 IIRC) will make your life a lot easier. The BW is larger than the LT230 so space is a bit tight getting it on and off the gearbox output shaft, but it does go. I found it wasn't possible to use the guide pegs trick to locate the transfer box on the shaft when fitting it as you have to 'tip' the box onto the shaft to clear the transmission tunnel.

It's not too bad a job - with a proper jack it's no problem to do it yourself. Without, especially if you're a bit weedy like me, you might want to have a beefy mate on hand.

Steve - I think those instructions you've posted are for changing the VC in situ, whereas I think fender1234 is planning on swopping the whole transfer box?

VC can easily be changed in situ. Getting to one or two of the bolts is a little interesting but its easy enough.

You need to unbolt the O/S gearbox mount, and supprt the trans with a jack so you can completely remove the mount. Remove front propshaft.

Drain transfer box oil.

Undo the ring of bolts around the front housing and remove the front housing complete. Note that there is no gasket it is stuck on with silicone so it may require some persuasion to get it off.

You then can swap the viscous on the workbench. Alternately if you've got the front housing compelte then just swap it over and re-fit.

Not too bad a job to be honest.

Jon

If you haven't already found this out over the weekend, the BW transfer box is a heavy beasty, and a proper transmission jack (about £80 IIRC) will make your life a lot easier. The BW is larger than the LT230 so space is a bit tight getting it on and off the gearbox output shaft, but it does go. I found it wasn't possible to use the guide pegs trick to locate the transfer box on the shaft when fitting it as you have to 'tip' the box onto the shaft to clear the transmission tunnel.

It's not too bad a job - with a proper jack it's no problem to do it yourself. Without, especially if you're a bit weedy like me, you might want to have a beefy mate on hand.

Steve - I think those instructions you've posted are for changing the VC in situ, whereas I think fender1234 is planning on swopping the whole transfer box?

Didnt get a chance to do it over the weekend as the starter motor on my 90 decided to give up so was busy doing that.

Im planning on swapping over the viscous coupling and housing, but not the whole transfer box so cant imagine it will be too heavy.

Maybe i'll have a chance this week to have a go

Took me about 2 hrs to change the viscous on daughters RR including rebuilding the knackered propshaft, the seized viscous took out both prop joints !! Interesting bit was getting the gearbox mount off, otherwise very straightforward, make sure you have a decent jack to hold it all up whilst you remove the mount.

• 2 weeks later...