Disco 300 tdi and auto box

Ian M

I popped an auto into a 300tdi 90 only a couple of weeks ago................

post-951-1222965453_thumb.jpg

You need to change the engine back plate to the auto version and of course you need the auto drive plate, boss and spacers.

Gearbox / transfere box mounts use the original chassis holes.

I spent just as long inside the cab getting the gear stick mount and console setup correctly and not looking like is was thrown together.

I also purchased a setrab oil cooler and fitted this instead of the normal ‘ long’ cooler - space was very limited at the front of the vehicle ( winches / elec fans etc ) - and crimped some custom pipes to suit.

My last job was to weld a plate to the auto-box sump ( yes it was off the vehicle! ) drill and tap a temp sender and fit a gauge in the cab - at least then you know if the box is getting a bit warm........

Good luck and if you need anymore info your welcome to PM me or 01983 524912

Lee

post-951-1222967508_thumb.jpg

post-951-1222967527_thumb.jpg

looks good Phantom.

did you put anything over the old main gearbox hole in the T tunnel? if so what?

or did you just leave the Low range lever sticking through with the old gaiter on and then put the console over the top?

I am presuming that the low range lever mounted on the back of the auto box came through in the same place as the old one?

Did the g box mounts come from Dave too? reason i ask is that i was under the impression that the auto sat about 15mm further back when mounted off a 300tdi so g box mountings needed moving or extending and props needed sorting? is that not the case?

looks good Phantom.

did you put anything over the old main gearbox hole in the T tunnel? if so what?

or did you just leave the Low range lever sticking through with the old gaiter on and then put the console over the top?

I am presuming that the low range lever mounted on the back of the auto box came through in the same place as the old one?

Did the g box mounts come from Dave too? reason i ask is that i was under the impression that the auto sat about 15mm further back when mounted off a 300tdi so g box mountings needed moving or extending and props needed sorting? is that not the case?

On the transmission tunnel you've still got the hi/low lever poking out, you can get a rubber boot and foam packer to suit - these can be purchased in the kit from Ashcroft or I guess from LR. The auto box is from a discovery and the same length as the removed R380, using the normal mounting points on the chassis and no faffing around with props etc.

Lee

post-951-1222984100_thumb.jpg

got that, just the box i was looking at mounts 15mm further back than std R380 working off the engine mounts in the same std place.

James, it's only 15mm further back if the gearbox is fitted with the HP24 oil pump. A stock HP22 box uses R380 mounts.

Nice job Lee - very tidy.