Thinking about a Disco...

Matt S

Hi all,

Sorry to gatecrash :ph34r: but just popped over from Freelander forum to ask a question - hopefully one that's not just been asked a million times before...

I love the Freelander :lol: but think that due to new house purchase it may have to go, and be replaced with something horrific like an Astra... However this will open the door to some sort of other Landie, but now to be used as a second car. Looking on Auto Trader I have seen quite a few Disco 300Tdi's and V8's(which I like the look of a lot) for around £1000-£2000, often with big mileage (180k+). My question is this; would one of these be any good for a 10 mile daily commute/odd long journey/tip trips/weekend greenlaning etc or would it just swallow too much money?? I am no mechanic but don't mind having a go, but generally need reliability as I work odd shifts. The Freebie is quite reasonable to run apart from £70+ fill-up, what could I expect from a (tired) Disco? At the moment I'm just thinking about it so would welcome any ideas/suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

A few months back I had a Disco 300tdi and a Series 2A land rover with the thought that at least one would always be on the road at once, I managed but it was a struggle, I spent every weekend fixing one or the other. Only managed 7 months then the worst one had to go so I sold the Disco, and bought a brand new Astra SRI which I use for going to work with no hassles (everything under warranty - no MOT etc etc) I then spend time on just the series and use it once a week or so for work and go playing on Sundays in it. The series is also a lot more capable off road than the disco was, the disco could be better but would need £££'s spending and would probably reduce it's reliability even further.

You asked if it would swallow money. Probably not but it would swallow time, I only spent about £100 on mine in 7 months but spent far too many hours

Hi there,

I got a 300tdi "N"reg ES version with 170K miles on the clock. It was a rush purchace due to my trusty Granada doing a triple into a ditch!

Paid £2500 for it. It had a few faults and bits falling off the interior.

First repair was the earth tag by the passengers door, then It took me on 2 holidays, towing my new caravan, (no money left after buying that) even air con was ok. Did over 35 mpg too.

Since then I have done a few much needed repairs. Shockers, brake-pipes, indicators, door springs, and the most expensive 2 tyres.

It behaves really well, tows well, and copes with a bit of off road. I will be keeping it for the forseeable future.

I would not recommend the Astra though, my brother had 2 really fault prone ones, he's got a Mondeo now.

I've had my 1996 300Tdi disco for 2.5 years... its just coimng up to 150k....

I bought it with full service history and 100k on the clock, since then i've been to Morocco and the Pyrenees, and use it for a 40 mile round trip to work every day...

I've done a lot of work on it, but it has been very reliable, and I will be keeping it for the next couple of years at least, although I am hoping to blag a company car within the year to use for the daily commute...