ARP Head Studs

Mark

Following on from my question about helicoiliing a pulled head bolt in my 200 TDI, someone has suggested using ARP studs...

Does anyone know if they are available for the 200TDI?

if so, who might be able to supply them?

Cheers

Mark

Hmmmm

ARP on a DFF :huh:

Like feeding caviar to a Piggy :P

Heres the UK suppliers :) give them a call

ARP_EU_Distributors.pdf

Nige

Mark,

Helicoils are easy.............. in the trech archive I didi a thread on them but for some reasoon the oics dont seem to be working...... I will sort that out this weekend.

Make sure the hole is clean ........... compressed air is your best friend to clear the drilling swarf .....

Again once its tapped then clear every piece of swarf.............

Be sure to knock out the tang on the insert and blow it from the hole with the air line.

The inserts come in length sizes relative to the diameter.... std is 1.5D.......... then 2D, 2.5D, 3D, 3.5D etc.

For a block, fit the longest insert that you can............. it must equal that original thread length.

Once its fitted, then it will be stronger than the original thread due to the radial engagement.

I would very much doubt that ARP studs will be avaialble as an off the shelf kit, althouth you may be able to match up indivdual stud threads and lengths. Expect to pay over a 100 notes for a full head kit................... about 70 - 100 for a bottom end.

For helicoils I use unithread .........http://www.uni-thread.com/ the service is excellent.

You will most likely need to buy a pack of ten inserts for the correct length that you need. Whilst doing the job, inspect all the other threads carefully for damage and security........... usually when one pulls, other follow close behind (just as you are doing up the last head bolt to the fianl torque :rolleyes: )

Les, it's in a disco at the moment, but it will end up in a freelander... but that's another thread.

Possibly studs are not a good idea though, as you point out, you cannot lift the head straight up while it's in the disco...

I suspect that lack or availability, cost and practicality rather rule out using them...

cheers for the suggestions though chaps.

Mark