8 grand to spend

carpenter-dj

You need to do your research. A TD4 is a good buy. I had a 2000MY TD4 and it lost money but what car doesn't. Didn't cost me much in the 5 yrs that I owned it. Only an air flow meter. So not a lot.

Yes I lost money but I got a Puma to replace it, which has now been replaced by a D3. Of the 2 cars the D3 is better by miles. It doesn't mattter what car you buy be it a LR, BMW, Merc you will lose money. You have to weigh up the enjoyment factor of owning that particular brand/model. Only you can make that decision.

Guest l90truck

my missus has got one and from the day she had it shes had nothink but trouble today the ird has gone

so do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket

if you do get one get a big tub of vasaline because every time some think goes wrong you'll take it up the ....

Been looking at an 04 plate freelander 2.0Lt TD ES,

is this model any good, or has it got any hidden faults.

any suggestions or advive on what i should buy.

regards :blink:

keep your money in your pocket or buy something else

Been looking at an 04 plate freelander 2.0Lt TD ES,

is this model any good, or has it got any hidden faults.

any suggestions or advive on what i should buy.

regards :blink:

If its an 04 plate it should be a facelift as in twin front lamps (seperate bulb for main and dipped beam) and some bodycolouring to the bumpers.

The ES was the older model prior to facelift; I think you may mean SE?

If its a manual make sure the clutch is not heavy and does not bite too close to the top or bottom of travel.

Make sure it drives smoothly.

The Td4's are generally very good, the main things that go wrong on the newer cars are:- fuel pumps, turbo hoses, clutch (both hydralics and the clutch itself).

Open the cubby box in the boot and make sure that the carpet is not wet at the bottom.

Mark.

Open the cubby box in the boot and make sure that the carpet is not wet at the bottom.

And if it is, drill a ~5mm hole to let the water out and dab some underseal on to stop it rusting :P

I don't think I'd ever spend £8k on a car so I'm probably not the ideal chap to give advice (am I ever?) but I'm dead pleased with my freebie. They're nice little cars if you're prepared for their various failings.

The viscous couplings lock up, which in turn lunches the IRD and/or the rear diff. That can be big money, the parts themselves are still fairly pricey. However, the cheat is to unbolt the rear prop, complete with viscous coupling, and just run as front-wheel-drive. The only ill effect is that you'll get stuck quicker if you do venture off-road.

Beyond that, you're about 7K over my budget so I have no clue about vehicles occupying the heady stratosphere of the market.

I have a 2003 freelander serangeti Td4, 46000 miles, had it for 6 monthe and love it, paid 3900 for it and would never have another now i have had this.

Great to drive and good on fuel, i do all my own servicing and its easey and good fun and keeps the car running well. I go to the lakes every weekend and it goes anywhere i want it to go.

There is nothing wrong with these cars, every car has its problems, i have had two new vauxhalls at work and had nothing but probs with them, this is a great car if looked after but for 8 grand i would want a nearly new one. Dont buy from a main dealer as you pay over the odds and get nothing that a private sale or small garage would give you for half the price. Go on get one you know you want to :rolleyes:

See, I got mine from a main stealer (stop laughing at the back...) for about what you want to pay... :blink:

I'm not rich :lol: , I was looking at a new Mazda 2 or something like that for about the same money and then decided that I'd get the Land Rover I really wanted - which turned out to be a 2 year old Freelander... isn't finance brilliant... For £8k now though you should get better than an 04 plate, unless it's done very low miles. For those of us who quite like the Land Rover Approved Used website (who said 'mugs'??) you'd need to look hard unless you want a 1.8 petrol, which they'll probably be giving away in cornflakes packets soon... :P Thing is, a lot of the issues that people raise on this forum about stuff got fixed without any quibble at all by the dealer, and one that I didn't even get the thing from went all out to fix things under warranty for me (guess they must get some sort of bonus...). They do have problems, but a while ago I strangely bought a new Skoda Fabia that needed 8 front suspension fixes in 6 months, and they always did really well in reliability surveys... and 2 cars ago I had a £450 1995 Peugeot 405 that never, ever went wrong so who knows...

My warranty runs out in 3 months so time will tell if all this confidence holds true, but I'd say go do it. If you want one, you should get one. The tax will be £300 next year which is frankly eye-watering, and they cost over £70 to fill up, but I see you live in the Dartmoor area and they are damn good fun in the sticks - and down here (Devon) you will seem to pay more than elsewhere :angry: but I've had mine for 10 months and love it. Probably no help to you at all, but good luck!

Cheers

Matt

unless you want a 1.8 petrol, which they'll probably be giving away in cornflakes packets soon... :P

I still reckon the 1.8's are the bargain, people simply run screaming away from them, yet sorting the head gasket is neither big nor scary, and once done properly should make it a reliable lump. The way diesel prices are these days there's naff all in the running costs between petrol & diesel.

We have am '03 plate 1.8 petrol freelander, and have had for 18 months now, and we love it. The only job I have had to do on it was related to the engine, so no really relavent here, but the point is if you buy a good one, they are very good. My Dad just traded in his X-reg TD4 after 260k miles, and he traded it for another TD4 Freelander (this time an '06).

anyway, for your budget you should be able to get a good car, if you are carefule and take your time choosing the right one.

Cheers

Mark

Just to let you all know, i've put a deposit on the Freelander,

Total cost will be £6999 with 12 months Tax and MOT, also included is a 3 year machical and electrical warrenty.

I personally think this is a very good deal (thanks to the credit crunch) got a grand off.

taking owner ship middle next week. i'll post a few pics to show you all what i got.

:blink::blink:

Just to let you all know, i've put a deposit on the Freelander,

Total cost will be £6999 with 12 months Tax and MOT, also included is a 3 year machical and electrical warrenty.

I personally think this is a very good deal (thanks to the credit crunch) got a grand off.

taking owner ship middle next week. i'll post a few pics to show you all what i got.

:blink::blink:

Great stuff, now all you need is some running boards, light guards, roof rack and a rear ladder and she will look good, And dont forget to change the crankcase filter as soon as you get it or tell them to do it, they will not change it as part of a routine service and it needs doing on a 2004, only 20 pound. Have fun. ;)

pete.

Great stuff, now all you need is some running boards, light guards, roof rack and a rear ladder and she will look good,

Why do you need all that stuff? The thing's not exactly a monster truck so running boards / side-steps seem a little pointless, and a roof rack will just cost MPG. Light guards don't look too bad I spose but they are not terribly functional as they share mounting bolts with the lamp lens, so hitting them on something is just as likely to crack it <_< from what I've seen replacement lamps are about the same price as replacement lamp guards :lol:

Ignoring my grumbling for a moment :rolleyes: sounds like you got a decent deal, the warranty is well worth having as you've got 3 years to make a pain in the ar*e of yourself every time the slightest thing goes wrong, which should mean you end up with a car that's in pretty fine fettle in 3 years' time. Sure those of us who own lots of spanners may scoff at paying extra for luxuries like main dealer warranties, but there's no denying the convenience of handing them the keys and saying "sort THAT out". :lol: