Disco Sills MOT Failure?

lrnewbie

I've got a 200tdi with rusty sills that I want to replace in the fullness of time anyway. But I just wanted to be clear; are rotten sills an MOT failure or not for a Disco? I assumed that the Disco was not a mono wotsit and therefore didn't not rely on it's sills for mechanical strength and subsequently wouldn't be an MOT failure. But I've seen threads talking about having to fix their sills for the MOT.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

sills are an MOT point. They are quite a large chunk to replace as well, as they go into the cab under the seat.

depending on how bad they are, as a quick fix then it would be easier to plate them. take the plastic piece off and see how bad they are behind there, as they tend to trap dirt and rot.

pull the carpets back too, as the floor is common to go in that area as well. i had to plate mine this year for the test, should be good for at least another 1 or 2 MOT's, untill i either get round to box sectioning them, or changing the truck for a newer model

Yep MOT failure, from the structure of the vehicle they don't make it dangerous but, the MOT testers have a guide to follow and have to fail it.

Interesting because my friend had a rusty old Rover 4, 100, loads of rust and holes in the sill and an apprentice at a garage tried to fail it once. But my friend pointed out it was a moncoque chassis and the garage gaffer confirmed it, and the the car sailed through MOT. Perhaps if you take it to the right MOT centre with the right experience to think out of the box you could pass it, legally.

Interesting because my friend had a rusty old Rover 4, 100, loads of rust and holes in the sill and an apprentice at a garage tried to fail it once. But my friend pointed out it was a moncoque chassis and the garage gaffer confirmed it, and the the car sailed through MOT. Perhaps if you take it to the right MOT centre with the right experience to think out of the box you could pass it, legally.

Nope, fairly sure it can't be passed legally, some could use their common sense and see it's not dangerous and pass it but they would be risking their licence if they were caught.

Not worth it to them, the MOT handbook can be found on the net, it's quite specific and easy to determine if something will pass or not

The main part to follow is:

Any structure or panelling which is supportive to either the component mounting or its load bearing member within 30cm of the mounting location. eg. In the examination of a seat belt mounting on an inner sill, consideration must be given to the outer sill, door pillar, floor panel, wheel arch or any other supportive structure within 30cm of the component mounting point.

Technically there might be some points on the sill which don't fall into the 30cm rule, so may get through

Inner wheel arches are the same sort of grey area on a disco - I've known them fail MoT's in the past as there was corrosion within 30cm of a suspension mount - even though the turret isnt actually fixed to the inner wing!

The sills on mine are the next job before the salt up here starts to get chucked about every night I'm just at the taking the covers off and looking stage, then if everything's all right its on with the undercoat and leave well alone.... - I'll be looking to plate mine if needed as I've not got a welder and can only borrow one for short periods - not long enough to do a whole sill...........

As has been said, they don't hold the vehicle together per se, but any corrosion within 30cm of a seatbelt mount, body mount, door pillar, etc. will fail. I don't see that a creative MOT is going to help, at the end of the day the thing's still rotten.