Lead a group around the Peak District?

GBMUD

In order that the forum trip to the Peaks runs smoothly we need some volunteers to hold a map and look like they understand it so much that a small group of others will follow them. Anyone feel that they have the required ability and willing to take this on? There seems to be 16 cars booked currently so I am guessing that we need a minimum of four groups to keep group numbers small.

IIRC V8Freak Neil and Les said that they would be OK with leading one group and I guess I will take one too; any more takers?

As I say, all you need is one or two maps and someone to look at them while you drive. We will get the local authority to confirm the lanes so local knowledge is not needed.

As and when we have sufficient leaders I will start the task of allocating groups which, I hope, will suit everyone. I do not anticipate that there will be hard and soft groups as all of the lanes I know in that area are easy/open enough for most standard cars to pass with care and without causing damage to car or lane.

Group leaders:

V8 Freak and Les

GBMUD

Godlykepower

Turbocharger

Please do not mistake this for organisation, it is merely for convenience on the day. ;)

Chris

I will get back to you on the map numbers Mike. With the greatest respect, it would be better to have group leaders who has some green lanes experience if possible.

Chris

Exactly Chris.

I wouldn't want to do that. However we can both map read........

mike

Chris,

After spectacularly failing to provide a lead on discounted hotel rooms :( , I would LOVE to be of some help, but of all the people going on the trip, I am probably the least qualified person on board.

I have only had a Land Rover for 18 months, and even though it has become a way of life for me & I have managed to get in a helluva lot of laning, maybe I am not qualified enough to actually lead others??

Saying that though, Jude is a whizz with a map, and I did use to lead people in the mountains.

I think that I am a bit worried about specific things like what exact gear to use in a given situation, as I have learnt loads so far, it does not always come naturally to me yet.

However, if you are saying that the routes we will be using are all non-damaging & not extreme, then I will be fine as long as I dont have to give technical advice!

Er.......so after all that, I dont mind leading if you want me to?

After spectacularly failing to provide a lead on discounted hotel rooms

You cannot provide what is not there.

I have only had a Land Rover for 18 months, and even though it has become a way of life for me & I have managed to get in a helluva lot of laning, maybe I am not qualified enough to actually lead others??

Saying that though, Jude is a whizz with a map, and I did use to lead people in the mountains.

You sound amply qualified to me. :) You have a job.

Sparg, thanks for the info. :)

Chris

I did a lot of laning in the area up until five years ago or so, so my knowledge (and maps) are out of date but I've got a general idea of the area (don't quote me on that) so I'm happy to lead a group.

Thanks John.

Chris

I think that I am a bit worried about specific things like what exact gear to use in a given situation, as I have learnt loads so far, it does not always come naturally to me yet.

That is my problem Martin.....Now sand...That is different :rolleyes:

mike

The trouble with yopur map reading, Mike is that you both tend to end-up in Africa! :lol:

Les :)

LOL @ you Les.....All in the mind, all in the mind Les.....

Bank holiday weekend we went to Wales. Now this was the first time in three years that we had actually had to find our way somewhere in the UK...

What fun we had sorting out a route.......There's a lot of roads on a UK map......

Chris...

Could Margaret and myself join a late off group. We're travelling down on the Saturday morning.....

mike

Chris...

Could Margaret and myself join a late off group. We're travelling down on the Saturday morning.....

If it doesn't tread on any toes I'd intended to take my group straight across to Sheffield to head down Stanage Edge and then work back towards Ashbourne for the evening. I could head out in a group of three and you could join me up there if that'd suit?

If other groups are starting from Ashbourne in the morning then we'll be well spread out around the district - responsible laning.

Does anyone know if the lane across Roych Clough is still legal?

Cheers

John

... Does anyone know if the lane across Roych Clough is still legal? ....

I'll say Yes it is.

If you were last in the area 5 years ago, it's been resurfaced since then. Still interesting to drive, Disco tow bars can drag, and the scenery is still good.

Good Luck.

If it doesn't tread on any toes I'd intended to take my group straight across to Sheffield to head down Stanage Edge and then work back towards Ashbourne for the evening. I could head out in a group of three and you could join me up there if that'd suit?

If other groups are starting from Ashbourne in the morning then we'll be well spread out around the district - responsible laning.

Does anyone know if the lane across Roych Clough is still legal?

Cheers

John

That would be great for us. An extra quarter of an hour in bed ???

It makes sense to me.

mike