Swivel preload.

andyb

Firstly I know how you set swivel pre-load on an LR axle, but....

...if you have a wheel that has, for instance, twice the off-set of a factory fit wheel; so therefore the scrub radius (?) is twice that of a standard wheel does the preload 'scale' similarly.

In other words, in the above example would the pre-load have to be twice as much? Or does anyone have an idea of how the pre-load would be affected to retain as near as normal steering feedback.

I hope that makes sense. :)

You say the offset is a lot more but what about the rest of the wheel, is it a 6" rim or a 10" rim ?

Having said that, as mentioned, increasing the swivel bearing preload is goingto affect other things as well eg loads on steering track rod ends . I would be very cautious on changing reccommended specs. JMHO

If you increase the scrub radius AND the tyre size, the centre of rotation in the contact patch (which is how you 'feel' steering feedback) will be about the same, so no need to alter the swivel preload. Given that we're not looking at a fingertip Lotus Elise experience, I'd stick with standard settings.

Thanks for advice and thoughts.

I'm going to stick with the 'factory settings' :)

And that is ?

I am in the process of renewing swivel bearings on my Disco TDi. Checked all my back copies of LROI, and they have given settings on a few occasions. But they vary ! Even the ones that stipulate a setting with the seals in place, differ

So, I used the setting in the Heynes manual. Which is 1.5 kg, with the swivel assembly lying on the floor, seal removed, and pulling upwards. (Yes, I take it they compensated for gravity :rolleyes: )