Inverter welders

JimAttrill

Firstly I must say that apart from a quick course taken back in 1966 as part of an apprenticesship I have little experience of welding and have never owned one. In fact the last time I used a 'stick' welder was a long time ago and the result resembled chicken droppings.

But I have recently come across the concept of an inverter welder and apparently they are much easier to use, with not so much of the welding rod sticking to the workpiece as always happened to me.

Is it worth me buying an inverter welder or should I carry on as I have done all these years and get the experts to do any work I need doing?

(I notice that the inverter welders are priced between the oil-cooled cheapo stuff and the MIG welders which are too expensive for the minimal use I would give them).

Howdy, I guess I'd say that if you're not going to put a decent amount of time into learning, then just stick to getting it done by someone else.

If you're interested in learning, then (in my personal experience) an inverter arc welder has definite advantages over a budget transformer unit. I have a cheapo arc welder and a Migatronic 'Pilot 151 Mamba', and the difference is unbelievable. Its far smaller and lighter, and has a whole host of features for making you look and feel like a better welder than you actually are (very useful in my case...).

Personally, I'm a bit wary of learning on a unit like that because you'll never be able to weld with anything else - better to learn on the tricky one and acquire more skill. But whatever works for you.

I have no experience of other inverter arc welders, I imagine some of the cheap ones are pretty carp to be honest.

Hope it helps a bit.

Al.

:)

Thanks, I couldn't figure out why an inverter, which normally converts DC to AC, was a help with welding which is normally DC. But I can see that there is a big difference betweeen 60Hz DC and 22Khz DC.

I won't need to weld alloy, I definitely get the TIG experts onto that.

I am interested in the inverter welders because they are cheaper to buy and to use than MIG welders, what with the gas requirements.

Still, it's never too late to learn a new skill - thanks for both of your replies.

(Also I have finally found out why a welded up diff is often called a 'Lincoln Locker' :) )

he said he's already worked it out! durrr :P

Ive been looking at these invertors. I already have 2 transformer arc welders. one small cheap SIP one, one big oil cooled cyntringham one, and a carp SIP mig welder

I like the idea of a clean arc after watching our fabricator using one on site the other day, and the possibility of adding a TIG kit so I can even do ally etc and learn something else. I know theyre not the be all and end all of TIG definitely, but Ive seen some dual purpose invertor welders that cater for hot start rather than the majority that only do scratch start... a real bonus!

I bought a baby Thermal Arc set, 150A about a month ago.

I had been looking at the el cheapo Clarke sets, which started about the £120 mark.

Then I saw sense and went to the local tool place and they had the Thermal Arc on display, and I just had to have it... :ph34r:

Cost me £295 + VAT, complete with case and stick electrodes. (Plus a nice shiny welding mask, self dimming!)

It is just so much easier to glue bits of metal together with it, and stainless is just a dream!

Best thing I've bought this year!

(Have not told 'er indoors yet, she thinks I've 'borrowed' the welder from work. :o )

• 2 weeks later...

not sure what to advise but i love inverter welders even the cheapo clark ones can produce a fine looking and strong weld. as for weather there any good to learn on, i see no reason y not.

arc welding needs lots of practice, im not a pro but have been sticking bits of metal together for years, and now i do a good job!