Buying my first defender

Im looking at buying my first defender this weekend. I only have about £2.5k to spend so im looking at getting something old. Would it be best to pick up a rotter for as liitle as possible (say 1000) and then use the rest to work on it? Can anyone tell me what to look out for when im buying one of this age, only 19 so not much experience. picking one up this age will probably mean replaces outriggers and rear crossmember but what else is likely to need doing and how much should i budget for these? any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Buying one that needs a new chassis is going to eat away a majority of that £1500 - leaving little for anything else. I would suggest get the best one you can for the money. Good chassis and tidy bodywork being the main things.

If it has the TD engine, then expect problems with it - especially if it's been neglected. The N/A engine is a real workhorse, but you won't get anywhere particularly quickly. People tend to replace the engine with a TDi or V8 item.

Les.

Try to get a 200TDi if not then a TD. As long as the chassis and engine are good then you can work up from there, just don't get one with a knackered chassis as you'll have more work on your hands that its worth.

Have a look in the foot wells too, you'll probably find most of its missing.

Yep, that one in the Classified section of the Forum looks tidy.

I would really try to go for a Tdi engine in this price range, bombproof engine & they go on forever if you look after them. Some of the guys on here are currently running at 400k miles plus, with no problems.

You will find that Defenders vary a lot in price. If you were looking to buy a Fiesta or something like that, the prices would all hover around a certain mark, give or take a couple of hundred quid.

With a Defender, prices can vary by thousands of pounds for the same model. The point i'm trying to make, is that try & spend as much as you can & try and get something good, as the less you spend, you will almost certainly end up with a bit of a pig, that will taint your experience of owning your first Land Rover.

Generally, the more you spend, the better you get. If you can do without all the bolt on goodies for a while, then try and spend as much of that £2500 on the best vehicle you can find. Dont rush into something. If you have to wait a couple more weekends, then do, you wont regret it.

In the £2500 price range, look for rot in the footwells & chassis. Dont worry about rotten doors (at the bottom), as all Defenders suffer from this at some point in their life. Also dont worry about minor electrical niggles like the rear wiper not working, or some dash lights not coming on, as these are easy & cheap to fix.

Maybe you could try giving Mark Griffiths at The Land Rover Centre a call, as they have all sorts of Land Rovers in all price ranges. First class service, and they can deliver to you if you are a bit far away.

HTH

Martin

Best advice going: if you can, beg, bribe or borrow a mate who knows loads about them to come along with you. Save you buying a rotbox or disaster. If you don't know anyone, try begging on here for a local member to come and help you have a look :)

Purely practical note: Allow probably an hour to give the vehicle a good inspection. Make a list of things to look and try and stick to it (easier said than done).

Quick list would be

Chassis - start from the back and give it a good whack and scrape. Chances are that by starting at the back you can be done with the vehicle quicker ;)

Bulkhead - give the corners a good old prod, can be paint holding it together. Footwells.

Gearbox & engine - check oil and then run it up in low gear through all 5 gears - means you don;'t have to break speed limit to make sure it engages ok in all gears.

If you plan on driving away, check the wheel bearings as it could make for a bum clenching trip on the way home, although knackered bushes can make for a white knuckle experience too.

As FF said - a lot of the rest is spanners and money

Wasnt there a buying guide in one of the magazines a couple of months ago, that had "what to look for" bit for every model??

check the wheel bearings as it could make for a bum clenching trip on the way home

True. I had a wheel bearing collapse on me at speed, which sent me skidding across the road. It was a lovely 15 mile drive home in Low range at 10mph! Very white knuckle, very sore mouth from clenching my teeth!!

Martin

Wasnt there a buying guide in one of the magazines a couple of months ago, that had "what to look for" bit for every model??

I'd take the comics with a pinch of salt, they're more likely to say "make sure you buy from one of the adverts in the back" than anything useful - they've also been known to quote ludicrous values for vehicles, I remember something like £1500 as the suggested price for a ratty old Range Rover classic :blink: