the change back to v8 from diesel

GARY ANDREWS

I agree on the big output diesel - the american and australian scenes are going this way - the main reason being the torque that you can ultimately achieve.

Steyr 6 pot Julian - daddy motor :)

Exactly! How about 280bhp, 370lbft and 320kg - NICE! Even the 4 cylinder is good for 160hp and 260lb ft. And rumour has it they're building a V8 version....

Also Landcruiser 4.2 can be tuned to give 380hp and 520lbft, it weighs nearly 400kg though, but it doesn't have any electronics

There is even a twin supercharged 500hp, 1000lbft version of the 6.5L chevy diesel if you really want some torque!

I can't help but think that if the scene swings towards big diesels there'll be a sudden appearance of ultralight buggies with superbike engines or something similar. 1000bhp and a million torques is all well and good, but then you've got to make the rest of the car withstand the abuse.

Then again, I'm one of these unfashionable people with a petrol V8. Or is that back in fashion now? Eeeeh kids these days... :unsure:

I really think that light weight will come to dominate, if only because we don't need hundreds of horses, particularly for challenge events.

Vapourdream (that's a hotter version of a wet dream - spaceframe 80" with a Audi 1.4Tdi. Or budget veresion - a SJ410 with a Perkins Prima :) 4x4 Panda with a Smart Roadster engine?

I really think that light weight will come to dominate...

it already does and has done for a fair few years - just not in the UK yet (2012's fashion tip maybe? ;) )

although I wholeheartedly agree you dont need a billion horse - it really is a whole heap of fun to let loose, dumb grin and instant childhood regression :)

I really think that light weight will come to dominate, if only because we don't need hundreds of horses, particularly for challenge events.

Vapourdream (that's a hotter version of a wet dream - spaceframe 80" with a Audi 1.4Tdi. Or budget veresion - a SJ410 with a Perkins Prima :) 4x4 Panda with a Smart Roadster engine?

hmmmmm

stripped down SJ trayback with a 100" wheelbase, yota axles, long travel airshocks, 35" simex and a tuned VW 1.9tdi. :ph34r:

Stick with building your garage mate :ph34r:

you no where i'm going, V8 all the way :P

garage nearly done and she looks big .should be there next weekend ,might come down for the pritty fire works or just go down the pub with you like last year or was that the year before who knows. see you there

Hello all - this is a great thread I have to say :)

I am now considering an MSII and EDIS8 for '98 Discovery 3.9 V8 with auto-gear box. Reading all the stuff available here and other forums :)

Has anyone some practical advices regarding expected issues I can run into with the auto-gearbox (if any) and MSII?