Airbox Compatability

discodave

Hello, it appears my airbox has been tampered with at some point and I'm looking to replace it now so can anyone cure my general ignorance and tell me if a 300tdi box wil fit a 3.9 v8 efi, or would a K&N performance kit be the way to go? I've noticed a petrol smell after switching it off even when it's being run on gas, but no evidence of a leak anywhere. :blink: Also will an LT230 transfer box from a 300tdi manual be the same as a 3.9 v8 efi auto? Thanks in advance. DD

Loads of part numbers for transfer boxes, Tdi auto and manual Efi auto and manual, then there's part numbers for boxes with suffix C,D,E,F and G.

I thought that would be easy to answer, just look in the parts book, now I don't have a clue :(

Thanks for your help. The transfer box sounds like a compatability nightmare, but luckily I've been able to pin down my mate who's gonna get the truck in his workshop tonight and inspect the tbox properly and may be able to strip it and replace the offending bearings for me. :D As for the airbox, the two do look very similar on the outside so I think I'll get a second hand jobby from eblag and see if I can make it fit or just make one good one along with the existing box. ;) DD

Well, my mate's had a good look at my tbox. input shaft is worn and the taper roller bearings are on their way out on the mainshaft so I think I'm gonna go for a recon box. Has anyone used / heard of Landy Ltd on eblag? They've got recon tbox for £375 plus £60 delivery, service exchange. Petrol smell is a pinhole in one of my fuel lines under the rear wheel arch, gonna replace them with plastic. Other than that things dont look too bad underneath so I'm hopefull that once the work is done I'll have a good truck for a while. ;) DD

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_4.html

Heard of These tho :) and you can buy without worrying if the box is more con than re :lol:

Nige

Ok, you can tie me up and call me irresponsible but after reading some enlightening info on the Ashcroft website I've bought a second hand tbox off the web. :blink: Going by it's id number I reckon it should be already uprated with the cross drilled input gear and it came off a 96 v8i auto so I've ordered the new, longer input shaft to go with it and I'm hoping for a wee bit o luck. Talk about on a wing and a prayer!! :o Petrol leak is a pinhole in the fuel pipe under the rear wheel arch, getting new lines fitted early next week. <_< Wish me luck, I'm gonna need heeps of it very soon. I feel full of mixed feelings. B) :):D:(;):ph34r::P:huh::angry::rolleyes::lol::unsure: DD

Hello again. Tbox arrived and looks good, input gear splines are in good shape, new shaft fits like a glove and it's off to see my mate tonight to get done so I've got everything that's crossable crossed coz until the thing is bolted on and I've had it for a drive...............!

Can anyone tell me the difference in the alternator from a later model v8? Newer is AMR4247- A127 100amp, mine is AMR3107- A127i 100amp? :blink:

Hello again. Tbox arrived and looks good, input gear splines are in good shape, new shaft fits like a glove and it's off to see my mate tonight to get done so I've got everything that's crossable crossed coz until the thing is bolted on and I've had it for a drive...............!

Can anyone tell me the difference in the alternator from a later model v8? Newer is AMR4247- A127 100amp, mine is AMR3107- A127i 100amp? :blink:

Hello again, here's a wee update. 300 tdi airbox wont replace v8i one coz of one clip on the lid which goes t'other way round, and lid for v8 one has the pipe for the airflow meter attached to it. :( managed to bodge up the old one though to stop the air gettin in where it shouldnt. ;) But got my 2nd hand tbox and new input shaft fitted and the whine is gone, yeeha, and all for a lot less than the cost of a recon box without fitting. Still got my old box too, which I can sort out at my leisure so's I've got a spare if/when I need one. new fuel lines done and petrol has stopped leaking, had to fit new pump as well coz old one was too corroded. Also fitted a see through expansion tank so's I can see the level without taking the cap off. Now I've just got to fit the new gearbox oilcooler pipe I got today(old one leaky) and have the gas system serviced to find out why I'm only getting about half the capacity that it should when I fill up (dodgy valve is most popular choice) So hopefully 2 weeks troube free motoring then it's off to Thailand and it'll be parked up in storage for three months then. B) DD