Master Switch / Recon Engine and Gearbox

Max Series-3

Hello! Because something in the landy keeps draining the battery i think i should put a Master switch in.

Am i right in thinking:

1.Remove battery

2. Add extra +ive cable to the cockpit.

3. Install The master switch. (attach the red wire to it)

4. Then put More red wire back to the terminal.

5. Reconnect the battery and bobs your uncle!

Am i right? I would just like to drill a whole and have one of those big red switches somewhere in the cab. Where can i buy the red (+ive) cable from and the master switch?

Thanks Max :D

Now on to my other question!

How much does it cost for me to send my engine and gearbox of to a company to recondition it? Also who provides this service and does it include a repaint?(on the engine)

Thanks Max :D

I assume you mean one of these cut off switches

small_ele28606.jpg

You should be able to get one from someone like Demon Tweaks.....I would imagine that Halfords would also do them.

I would have thought that just removing the earth cable from the battery would be a more 'reliable' short solution.

Better bet is to find out what is draining the battery. Put a multimeter between battery and live cable and set to read AMPS. Don't start the engine like this. Note amps reading, then disconnect electrical equipement until the current takes a big drop. Hard to give actual numbers. As a side note, I found that my CB was draining the battery in my Discovert, this was because it had a preset memory that needed 'keep alive' power.

As for the engine gearbox recon.....you are best off doing a Google search. The widely regarded best engine reconidtioner is Turner Engineering. How much?? Well you could throw nearly 4 figures at just the engine....depends upon how far you want to do with it.

Rather than risk burning out your meter by using the 10 amp setting which is often unprotected - why not make up a test lamp (I use a 21 watt indicator bulb with wires soldered on - then insulated). If the current draw is heavy it will light - and also prevent an excessive current being passed into the remainder of the wiring in the event of a short.

If the bulb does not light it may still be carrying a smaller current - which can be revealed by setting your meter to a lowish volts setting and connecting it across the bulb terminals. - now keep hunting until the meter reading ceases (or with modern components - nearly does.)

I assume you mean one of these cut off switches

small_ele28606.jpg

You should be able to get one from someone like Demon Tweaks.....I would imagine that Halfords would also do them.

I would have thought that just removing the earth cable from the battery would be a more 'reliable' short solution.

Better bet is to find out what is draining the battery. Put a multimeter between battery and live cable and set to read AMPS. Don't start the engine like this. Note amps reading, then disconnect electrical equipement until the current takes a big drop. Hard to give actual numbers. As a side note, I found that my CB was draining the battery in my Discovert, this was because it had a preset memory that needed 'keep alive' power.

As for the engine gearbox recon.....you are best off doing a Google search. The widely regarded best engine reconidtioner is Turner Engineering. How much?? Well you could throw nearly 4 figures at just the engine....depends upon how far you want to do with it.

Hi,

Ive got one of those cut out switches! Unfortunately its taken me two years to fit. In that time i lost the diagram and cant remember figure out how the alternator end bit is connected. Do you have a diagram that i could look at? (I have already hooked up battery part).

Cheers for your help.

Hi,

Ive got one of those cut out switches! Unfortunately its taken me two years to fit. In that time i lost the diagram and cant remember figure out how the alternator end bit is connected. Do you have a diagram that i could look at? (I have already hooked up battery part).

Cheers for your help.

Technical Archive, from a long thread all about Battery cutoffs to cope with winches and competitions.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...st&p=318006