Auxiliary Diesel Fuel Burning Heater

Fatboy

Evening all,

We recently bought an 05 TD4 Freelander Sport for the missus and I went through it at the weekend to ensure it is in good nick for the weekend... Change oil + filter, air filter, front discs and pads, back brake clean-out and check... :)

Whilst underneath I discovered the auxiliary heater which I didn't realise it had and its set me thinking. Is there a modification so that can be fitted so it starts automatically without the engine (I fitted an Eberspacher on my Disco that had a timer that did his). I'd like the car to be up to temp and defrosted through the winter for the missus to do the school run in the morning. ;)

Cheers for any help :)

I should think a look at the wiring diagram for the car would give some clues. AFAIK all it needs is the engine to be running and a signal from the temp sensor inside the grille that ambient temp is below 5 deg, but IIRC that is just a switch. You may find that all the heater needs is to "see" 12V on a control line and it will fire up, though I don't know how much power it uses, might be an issue if used regularly. Purely speculation but a gander at the wiring diagram would tell you whether it is going to be easy or difficult - I don't have a copy at home or I would have a look.

Cheers for the thoughts and the link. I'll nip into Taylors on the Lang Stracht as they are my local Webasto agent.

I'll wait for their advice to clarify if it has an independent pump / temp senso or relies on the running engine to provide circulation etc. (I know the Eberspacher one could be set with the timer and had its own pump and voltage sensor so the car would still start etc but this unit is well tucked away so I can't get much of an impression of its details etc.

Thanks again,

as has been said the heater fires up on a +12v signal from the temp sensor behind the front bumperwhen temp falls below 5c approx. You could insert a switched +12v feed to the heater on pin 3 where the sensor connects to.

however this will only run the heater and its internal pump and pump hot coolant around the engine and the heater matrix (if you have left it on hot) but you'll not get any warm air around the cabin as the fan won't be on and you also risk running your battery flat as the engine won't be running to charge up.

best by far to get the proper kit to convert it and reduce the risk of a nice warm 4x4 that won't start!

It wouldn't be hard to add a wire (probably with a diode) to run up the heater motor to, say, speed 2 to heat the car up. You could use a LR voltage sensitive switch to shut the thing off if the battery was in danger of going flat, or run it from a small aux battery with a cheapo split-charge.