Workshop compressor

BogMonster

We need a new workshop compressor at work, the old was was made in 1981 and probably doesn't owe us anything :)

Current unit is an Ingersoll-Rand industrial, exact output unknown but a 5.5KW motor (which is about 7.5HP) and a 270L receiver, and is quite adequate for the needs but just suffering from the ravages of old age.

After a chug around Google I have three units on the shortlist:

- Sealey 270L/7.5HP http://www.northerntooluk.com/products.asp?partno=3027E

- SIP 200L/7.5HP http://www.aircompressors.co.uk/airmateprof.php

- SIP 270L/10.0HP same page as the 7.5HP.

Has anybody got anything good or bad to say about any of these, or know of any other good deals going at the moment? Needs to be a good quality brand, biggest not necessarily best (but around the above specs), readily available ex stock and if it is on special offer at the moment then so much the better ;)

No Ebay links please, ta.

Boggy - I'd honestly think twice before stepping from an Ingersol to a SIP / Sealey. Especially if you say quality is the main criteria.

I'm looking myself, and have a SIP at the mo, and I'll defo be stepping upwards in terms of quality, not staying where I am.

Is it the tank or motor thats seen better days? Might save yourself some money there?

You just missed a cracker on ebay! ;)

Al.

I've actually just been thinking the same thing and sent an email to Ingersoll-Rand but I have no idea how the costs compare, and price will be an issue as the controllers of beans will inevitably dig their oar in :unsure: top whack for the first cost is going to be around the £2000 mark and freight will add to that.

There's an Ingersoll BD7-270 which is the same spec as the one we have but I've not been able to find a price anywhere on Google.

I don't expect the new one to last another 27 years though, they probably don't build stuff like that now :)

Problems with the old one - everything really, compressor unit is "a bit knackered" and leaks oil like a sieve, its all starting to sound a bit tired and I have some significant reservations about the internal state of the receiver after 27 years of having moisture sitting in the bottom of it :unsure:

The main reason for replacing it now is that we can't afford to wait for it to go pop (and if it literally went pop it would probably wipe out whoever was using the ramp next to it) as it will take 2 months to source a replacement ex UK and as the business includes a lot of tyre fitting and repair, we'd be right royally screwed without it...!

As I understand it (i.e. probably wrongly), compressors don't 'go pop' they just start leaking through pin holes in the tank which gets gradually worse. I don't think there is much risk of explosive failure of the tank, provided you're not welding on it! (Or maybe even then... Try it and let me know).

There are quite a few reputable makes out there. And even though I'm sure you're right about time/build quality, I think they'd all be better than a SIP etc. You're out of hobby range in terms of power, which helps.

Even if you don't like ebay (you really did just miss a cracker - very clean, good make, 43cfm, 200ltr, about 300 quid - Wanted it myself, but there's only so many tools you can buy in one day...), its often a good source of ideas to investigate.

Fiac / Hydrovane / Ingersol Rand / Broom Wade etc etc...

Something like -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=230303183047

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320315176865

I know they're used, but thats the sort of thing I'd be putting money into.

Al :)

I would recomend an Air Industrial Equipment H32 for what you do (general air tools and the odd use of a wheel gun).

We have used one of these for our Foxbay Garage for about 4 years now and have a larger HW 65 for the main plant work shop.

Price was around £1075. without freight when we got it.

If I can track down a link I will forward it.

When it comes to change again,, will go for another screw compressor,,

Found HPC to be excellent,, and if close to a lift, with people working, resonably quite, not cheap, but excellent kit , current one must be near 15 year old now,,

Thanks for that Ralph & Tim, will look into those. What are the pros and cons of a screw compressor for workshop use? I guess price is the con, which may rule it out. A conventional unit has done everything we need to date, and I'm guessing that the old one is probably not quite producing its original design output given the age and the fact it has been invaded once so a new one of the same output ought to be better.

Trouble is its got me thinking about whether I need to replace my 25L Draper one at home now :unsure:

Stephen

Yep a big con is cost !!

Pros are, low noise level, low vibration, more compact size, Designed to run at full load 24/7 , more air for the same given motor power hence lower running costs,,

They are a few makes of screw compressor about, and cheaper, but went for the HPC as being recommended as the best, so much so, have forgot what i paid for it,, remember it was not cheap,,IIRC about £1k more that a piston machine, but even with hindsight, would buy the same again

The Air Industrial Equipment ones seem very well priced, just got a quote back for a 7.5HP/270L which is cheaper than any of the above so have asked for a price on the bigger HW45 (10hp motor, 270L receiver) for a bit of future-proofing...

http://www.aiedirect.co.uk/

A HW16 looks like it might meet my needs at home too, nice slow revving unit, cast iron cylinders and a FAD quoted at 100psi which is a hell of a lot more use than the "piston displacement" figure that most will publish!

Have you got the space?

Check the L, W, H dimensions, in cm.

Flywheels look good,

HW16 = 270 cm, nearly 9 feet.

HW45 = 530 cm, over 17 feet.

Real Victorian standards, they don't (normally) make them like that nowadays!!

Seriously, they look good, if the price is right.

Cheers

Cheers

I'd go for a screw compressor all day long and i'd defianelty go for a hpc machine there is some good 2nd hand machines out there if you go to a compressor dealer! i wouldn;t buy one of ebay it could be knackered!

I've just bought a 2nd hand hpc sm11 mounted on a 190ltr receiver for £1200 i also bought a dryer and coalescent filters as well to run my bodyshop which cost another £600. but i have super clean dry air perfectn for breathing and spraying.