2x100w spot lights

joe sharpe

-1- hi all is it possible to run 2 spot lights directly from my high beam switch (2x100w or 150w) or will i need to use a seperate switch etc .

-2- also on a different subject is it ok to use 15w 40w as used in jcb,s its a 200tdi.(engine oil.)

cheers for all the advice i have received,

joe

-1- hi all is it possible to run 2 spot lights directly from my high beam switch (2x100w or 150w) or will i need to use a seperate switch etc .

-2- also on a different subject is it ok to use 15w 40w as used in jcb,s its a 200tdi.(engine oil.)

cheers for all the advice i have received,

joe

seperate switch / relay as i dont think the standard wiring will take the load 2x100w equals approx 16A so extra wiring there is a thread on here somewhere with wiring diagram .chris

-1- hi all is it possible to run 2 spot lights directly from my high beam switch (2x100w or 150w)

Absolutely not - you need to use a relay. You should also have a seperate switch to stop the spotlights being used on the road. There are a few copies around of a diagram showing an example circuit.

15w40 oil is suitable for a 200tdi.

Absolutely not - you need to use a relay. You should also have a seperate switch to stop the spotlights being used on the road. There are a few copies around of a diagram showing an example circuit.

15w40 oil is suitable for a 200tdi.

Theres nothing to stop you using the main beam circuit to switch a relay to put on spot lights which comply with road going mounting height requirements, you can have any lights you like as long as they go off when you dip the headlights.

You should feed the spotlights directly from the battery through a suitable fuse and the through the relay contacts.

You can also have a separate switch if you like wired in series with the relay coil circuit to allow the spot lights to be turned off when high beam is selected.

I've operated my spots via a relay operated by the main beam circuit for years- no problem.

Theres nothing to stop you using the main beam circuit to switch a relay to put on spot lights which comply with road going mounting height requirements, you can have any lights you like as long as they go off when you dip the headlights.

You should feed the spotlights directly from the battery through a suitable fuse and the through the relay contacts.

You can also have a separate switch if you like wired in series with the relay coil circuit to allow the spot lights to be turned off when high beam is selected.

I've operated my spots via a relay operated by the main beam circuit for years- no problem.

So have I, I have two A frame mounted spotlights fitted from day one. It's the way Land Rover wire them as standard, as the wiring already exists behind the grill..

not been cheeky (well not much lol) you dont happen to have a wiring diagram for a thicko lying about ??

cheers joe

thanks very much even i can understand this :rolleyes:

cheers joe

Thats the diagram, The only comment I would have is that the earth wires (-ve) from the relay coil circuit and the spotlight circuits don't necessarily have to go back to the -ve terminal of the battery.It might be more convenient just to bolt them to some convenient piece of body metalwork or even better to some existing earth point where other earth wires are already connected.

Just make sure all your connections are clean back to bright metal before bolting together.

I hope this helps.

Thats the diagram, The only comment I would have is that the earth wires (-ve) from the relay coil circuit and the spotlight circuits don't necessarily have to go back to the -ve terminal of the battery.

Fair enough, but why not do the job properly and avoid the inevitable earth problems in the future? :rolleyes:

I found a copy of the diagram landymanluke has posted a few :rolleyes: times on here.

Yes, just a few times.

bear in mind that the legal limit for lamps on the road is 55W...

Yup, hence the inclusion of a switch, since the o/p mentioned 100w bulbs. :)

Mmm dont know if there is a wattage limit for spots, I had 2 150w KC daylighters on my D90 :D and never had any problem come MOT time. I was under the impression that as long as they go off when dipped thats fine. I do know that the vehicles original lighting cannot be any more than 55w though.

Stu

you can have any lights you like as long as they go off when you dip the headlights.

Nope... The max is 55w for any light to be used on the road- please can you be certain of legal fact prior to posting on the forum... let not get someone else in the poo because of our own interpretation of the law.

Yes it will probably pass an MOT with them fitted but will not comply with other aspects of traffic law- there are numerous things that do not fall within the remit of the MOT but are illegal...

I have 100w spots on my 90 that operate via a relay with the main beam- however I have an override switch to turn them off for road use and a dash light to indicate when they are on to that I don't forget and blind someone!!!

Nope... The max is 55w for any light to be used on the road- please can you be certain of legal fact prior to posting on the forum... let not get someone else in the poo because of our own interpretation of the law.

Yes it will probably pass an MOT with them fitted but will not comply with other aspects of traffic law- there are numerous things that do not fall within the remit of the MOT but are illegal...

I have 100w spots on my 90 that operate via a relay with the main beam- however I have an override switch to turn them off for road use and a dash light to indicate when they are on to that I don't forget and blind someone!!!

Apologies, I've obviously been under a mis-apprehension, along with a few others I think.

I'd better go and change some bulbs or fit an additional switch.

Thanks for the correct advice.