Discovery I - rear lights

john01473

you will need the rear lights with bulbholders from 200 series disco to do this, straightforward swap that just needs a few wires connecting up to do the job

Or the 300 series as some had the rear lamp/indicator in the two locations at the rear as does my disco, any top lamp with the four bulb holders will do the job. Rear/stop lamps, indicator, reverse and fog.

The wiring may be existing, but that depends on what LR were up to at the time of building the vehicle as we all know

Forget part numbers, get a set of 200 clusters from a scrapper. You could also take a length of the loom from the multiplug back to make things easier.

You need to break into the loom in each back corner, identify the feed you need for each function, splice in using the NOT SCOTCH LOCK method of your choice, wire to your new bit of loom and multiplug and off you go.

If you cant get the multiplug, get some male disconnect block terminals and add them to your existing multiplug in the two free slots.

Stu.

As mentioned earlier, it's a straight forward swap.

I did it in Oct with my Disco I and very pleased with the result.

As for the wires, you will find that the wiring harness "should" be wired up for the light cluster and the plastic plug is there in the back cavity behind the light cluster. ;) In my case and my friends case (yes two Disco I's), it was just plug and go.

Todd.

post-194-1226012974_thumb.jpg

post-194-1226012982_thumb.jpg

As mentioned earlier, it's a straight forward swap.

I did it in Oct with my Disco I and very pleased with the result.

As for the wires, you will find that the wiring harness "should" be wired up for the light cluster and the plastic plug is there in the back cavity behind the light cluster. ;) In my case and my friends case (yes two Disco I's), it was just plug and go.

Todd.

many thanks to all - have ordered lights from Discovery scrapper.

will post pictures when done

cheers

Big John

• 4 weeks later...
Hi bigJohn, my 1996 300 Tdi 3dr auto was bought from the floor brand new with the indicators in the rear bumper and rear clusters, so you should be able to do the conversion with ease.

I took one of the rear lights off today and discovered that the loom to the plug is short of two wires. Does anyone know where the best place to cut into the wiring to pick up the wires for the indicators and brake lights.

cheers

Big John

I took one of the rear lights off today and discovered that the loom to the plug is short of two wires. Does anyone know where the best place to cut into the wiring to pick up the wires for the indicators and brake lights.

cheers

Big John

i really need help with this wiring - has anyone done the this?

Big John