Driving with a blown head gasket.

Les Henson

A note of caution to those of you with alloy cylinder heads. If you suspect head gasket failure, then find out asap, and don't drive the vehicle. I took the head off a Mazda today and the owner had been driving it for some while - knowing that there was a problem with it running right. This can happen to any engine with an alloy head and/or block. Very expensive repair :lol:

post-2-1225990581_thumb.jpg

post-2-1225990593_thumb.jpg

Hole is 3mm deep.

Les.

Give it to Nige to weld......

He can fill 3mm no probs.... Then he'll get his plasma cutter and shave any protrusions off and then a quick bit of wet n dry.. Bobs yer auntie and Fanny's yer uncle....

Slap it on, torque to FT and take their money.... Usual warranty applied Les.... 2 mins or 200yds....

Neil

CHRIST :blink:

Now Thats not going to "Skim out" :lol:

It doesn't take long at all to cause serious damage in an ali head with a gasket gone, and

it doesn't take much to turn a head from sound to scrap.....BUT

How long / how many miles has that been driven with a suss head gasket to make that damage ??

Prob not as long as many will think ? .............

Nige

Well, i noticed some time ago that my 200Tdi pressurised the crankcase, oil was weeping out at the filler lid. Of course there was also plenty of oil in the ventilation hose to the airfilter and around the valve cover. I have driven like that for quite a while, suspecting the headgasket since the engine certainly isn't worn. Last week I took the valve cover off and started the engine. An immediate oil sprav "everywhere" emerging from the rearmost pushrod hole. :o

I took the head off and the gasket was surely gone. I had feared that there also should be markings on the head, but no sign of any abrasion. :rolleyes: And no signs of any reason why the gasket blew, maybe just because it was a non Genuine from Allmakes? Anyway, a Genuine one will sit there from tomorrow on! ;)

A note of caution to those of you with alloy cylinder heads. If you suspect head gasket failure, then find out asap, and don't drive the vehicle. I took the head off a Mazda today and the owner had been driving it for some while - knowing that there was a problem with it running right. This can happen to any engine with an alloy head and/or block. Very expensive repair :lol:

post-2-1225990581_thumb.jpg

post-2-1225990593_thumb.jpg

Hole is 3mm deep.

Les.

That'll go again Les, decent weldeer could fill that, and then a re skim.