anyone with a lathe...

02GF74

If yer have, then I have a little job for ya. Including materials and postage, I'd pay up to £25 - it should not take more than 20 mins max?

From the picture, we a looking a piece of 20 mm AF hex mild steel bar. One end is turned down to 14 mm (I will put a M14 x 2.0 thread on as I have die.).

The other end is is a hole drilled 12 mm to a depth of 27 mm so there is 8 mm solid metal between the threaded part and the hole. This eventually will be tapped M14 x 2.0 (I don't have the taps yet but should be able to get one).

If you are able to do the tapping and thread cutting in the budget, then even better. :)

The hex rod is then machined to be cicular to leave two "nuts" one at the drilled end and other at the solid part, I guess 8 mm thickness is sufficient, it should be enough for a spanner to hold. This is a nice to have feature to save aq few grams so not necessary.

Any takers?

Scan0008.jpg

What's this, a wheel spacer?

You can get hex bar with a thread through it.

There is a company that uses it for high lift jack racks, for mounting on the spare wheel, using the 3 bolts on the rear door wheel carrier.

The hex is bolted on after the spare wheel and act's as a spacer out to the edge of the tyre. A plate is then fitted on to the 3 hex spacers that have a threaded bolt protruding.

Then the high lift is fitted to the plate.

Just found the company http://www.4x4partsmaster.com/shop_det.asp..._id=&sec_id=245.

Maybe they can help.

John

It is for steering tack rods so needs to be one piece (no welding either). I will make enquire locally but posted in case someone here cna do it - saves me asking around I guess.

roughly where are you?

a mate of mine might be able to do something but he is at st harmon just down the road from tomy's cwm derw

roughly where are you?

a mate of mine might be able to do something but he is at st harmon just down the road from tomy's cwm derw

898kor - thanks for diagram; I'm sure any machinist worth his salt would understand my hand drawn perfectly!! :lol:

I am new Watford, Herts.

oh dear, wasn't aware of that. What material would you suggest Paul?

Any material that is supplied in case (induction) hardened form wouldn't be a good idea either, since you will be machining off all the hard sections and cutting threads in the soft bits.

EN25, EN26, 4140, 4340 would all be good if you can buy them already through-hardened to sufficient hardness. Won't be the easiest to machine though - if already hardened.

oh dear, wasn't aware of that. What material would you suggest Paul?

I'n no expert on materials but I would consider EN8 or EN16, probably not available in hex though.

Heat treatable material is a non starter unless you have contacts in heat treatment.

Case hardened or through hardened materials are not going to do machining tools much good!

I'n no expert on materials but I would consider EN8 or EN16, probably not available in hex though.

Heat treatable material is a non starter unless you have contacts in heat treatment.

Case hardened or through hardened materials are not going to do machining tools much good!

you're probably more of an expert then me :huh:

2 more questions;

a) I have found 24 mm holding down bolts - high tensil 8.8 - surely that is going to be strong enuf?

B) this got me thinking; the track rods in LR are not case hardened or are they? look and feel like mild(?) steel to me.

you're probably more of an expert then me :huh:

2 more questions;

a) I have found 24 mm holding down bolts - high tensil 8.8 - surely that is going to be strong enuf?

B) this got me thinking; the track rods in LR are not case hardened or are they? look and feel like mild(?) steel to me.

I think high tensile bolts are only case hardened? Quenched and tempered anyway... They are likely to be softer in the middle.

I am sure the LR track rods are NOT mild steel.

I (and a few mates as well) have machined through hardened 4340 with no problems. As long as it is not too hard it machines well with tungsten machining tools.