Pub gas

Paul Humphreys

• 3 weeks later...

hi

co2 as a shielding gas will give more penetration and a coarse weld appearance but should be ok also depending on the way the co2 is stored ie liquid or gas you may need a vaporiser to prevent damage to gauges. Nitrogen can cause porosity in the weld which wouldn't be good for any structural welds. if only doing small amounts of welding would you get away with the one use cylinders?

matt

id love to know the answer, because theres 4 full bottles of pub gas at my sisters house, that were left by the students that lived there before!

Just to clarifi further the most comon pub bottles are:

1. Pure Carbon Dioxide ( will be in a black bottle)

2. 30% Co2/70% nitrogen.( will be in a green bottle)

3. 50% Co2/50% nitrogen.

4. 60% Co2/40% nitrogen.

5. Pure nitrogen.

Not used any for welding though.

As above, I'd far rather pay 60 - 70 a year rather than 10 quid a pop for a disposable, or have 'pub gas' which 9 times out of ten isn't right for the job.

I thought about pub-gas for welding but when I looked into it it worked out under £2 per week to have the proper stuff (cougar from air products) delivered to my door. you can't get pint of lager for £2 these days, so for me it's value for money

Mike :blink: