rear arch cutting for simex....

i know a few people run simex on their vehicles for events and play days, whats the best way of chopping the rear arches so the tyres dont catch on them?

i trimed the spats but it still buzzed like mad whilst articulated. i think part of the rear tub (nearest the cross member) needs to go.

cheers, Tim.

I have a +2" lift on my 90. When I trimmed mine all I did was to slice off the arch so that it went to a point at the rear rather than following the normal lines. If the weather picks up today I'll get a pic as it'll be easier to explain.

i know a few people run simex on their vehicles for events and play days, whats the best way of chopping the rear arches so the tyres dont catch on them?

i trimed the spats but it still buzzed like mad whilst articulated. i think part of the rear tub (nearest the cross member) needs to go.

cheers, Tim.

Hi Tim.

I run Gwyn Lewis's challenge kit, with OME springs. The tyres are 35x11.5, I had to cut as shown in the pic below right across, I also had to remove the brace from the underside of the wheelarch tub. Basically look up at the tub from outside, and you'll see a brace, mine rubbed under full articulation so I removed it.

Hope this helps.

Rich.

post-3628-1227018115_thumb.jpg

Tony

On your southdown guard. Where did you get the bigger handled pins from. The 1's I have are nowhere that substantial and the handle bit has come adrift so to remove needs a tapper and a small bit of effort

I prefer the method I used where the eyebrow is about 3" higher up the tub.

Took off eyebrow.

Made a template from mdf to match the arch shape.

Mark up the wing and cut off about 2.5" including the flange.

Clamped the template to the inside of the wing in the right place using about 4 of those cheap clamps with rubber feet.

Hammered over the edge to re-form the flange.

Re-attach the eyebrow.

note, before bending aluminium it needs heating with a blowtorch to a certain temperature to temper it. Sorry, no pics.

I prefer the method I used where the eyebrow is about 3" higher up the tub.

Took off eyebrow.

Made a template from mdf to match the arch shape.

Mark up the wing and cut off about 2.5" including the flange.

Clamped the template to the inside of the wing in the right place using about 4 of those cheap clamps with rubber feet.

Hammered over the edge to re-form the flange.

Re-attach the eyebrow.

note, before bending aluminium it needs heating with a blowtorch to a certain temperature to temper it. Sorry, no pics.

You're correct and that is probably where I will be going next having now cut out the inner tub. At the time is was a quick way with limited tools (hacksaw and pop riveter) to avoid the Simex crumpled arches and I still think it has a lot of merit for those not cutting out the inner tub seat box.

Don't suppose you still have those mdf templates handy?

cheers for the advice, it may be something i attempt this weekend.

althought after tong on sunday i think ill leave the simex in the garage untill i go into a competition. they seem a tad over the top for a play day and makes most things too easy to drive up.