Bright spot lights

Mullered one of my daylighters on a tree at the weekend. The casing is bent so sadly it's not just a question of replacing the sealed beam unit.

Can anyone recommend a spot light of a similar lux output, that won't look silly in the current position, and is a fair bit slimmer than a daylighter, so won't get squashed next time I have cause to meet a tree?

post-904-1227017116_thumb.jpg

If you do speak to Jez, can you post up the prices? (or PM me with them)

I'm also looking for some lights and the HID ones do look the biz!

320 a pair including delivery back from Russia was the price back in September when the pound was fairing better against other currencies.

There's another link to an install here.. Michele's HID's

Cheers

Steve

Mullered one of my daylighters on a tree at the weekend. The casing is bent so sadly it's not just a question of replacing the sealed beam unit.

Can anyone recommend a spot light of a similar lux output, that won't look silly in the current position, and is a fair bit slimmer than a daylighter, so won't get squashed next time I have cause to meet a tree?

post-904-1227017116_thumb.jpg

Given the comparative prices, you may like to consider fitting a pair of HID bulbs (from HIDs4U) in 2 of those high mounted lights you have there. You solve the tree problem that did for your daylighter.

I'm not saying the output will be as good as a purpose built light, but these things put out so much light that the result may be sufficient for your purposes.

Note 'consider fitting' and 'may be sufficient'. While I do drive behind HID bulbs, I've never driven behind high mounted HID bulbs.

Given the comparative prices, you may like to consider fitting a pair of HID bulbs (from HIDs4U) in 2 of those high mounted lights you have there. You solve the tree problem that did for your daylighter.

I'm not saying the output will be as good as a purpose built light, but these things put out so much light that the result may be sufficient for your purposes.

Note 'consider fitting' and 'may be sufficient'. While I do drive behind HID bulbs, I've never driven behind high mounted HID bulbs.

Cheers for the pointer to HIDs4U - I like the idea of this high intensity displacement stuff but it's bl**dy expensive kit!

The rectangular lights on the cage are only cheapo ones - they give more of a flood beam, and can be angled outwards slightly - ideal for the night section on the SCOR Randonee. The daylighters were my long range lights.

Looking at the prices of stuff, I might try and straighten out the casing and get another sealed beam unit for the time being, then look at maybe getting some of these at some point in the future.

320 a pair including delivery back from Russia was the price back in September when the pound was fairing better against other currencies.

Hmm, that's a little rich for me :(

Do HID's run cooler than standard halogen bulbs?

I'm wondering if I can modify my current spots to run HID (Xeneon) bulbs.

Ive seen some conversion kits around but am wondering how waterproof they'll be.