Brakes on my Range Rover Classic

richardthestag

Morning All

Having some issues with the brakes on my 93 3.9 Vogue RR classic.

Very occasionally I would experience a slight click when pressing the brake pedal, as it happened so very occasionally and the car pulled up straight and quick I wasn’t too worried.

However

Last weekend I changed all the pads, I cleaned the caliper pistons in situ and did notice some damage to the stainless surface on some of them, I pushed them in, put old pads back in and pressed brake pedal, on both front brakes I needed to start the engine and pressurise the system before I could get two pistons on each caliper to shift. Is this normal? :blink:

I then cleaned what I could again and pushed the caliper pistons back in before installing new pads.

Initially everything was fabulous – but now it has started clicking again – i.e. very slight resistance on the brake pedal almost every time that I pressed it in a very long traffic jam west london this morning. :( Braking efficiency does NOT seem to be affected at all.

My next step is a caliper rebuild, new pistons seals etc, is there anything else that I should be worries about? <_<

Cheers for reading..

if you have damage to the pistons it would probably be a good idea to rebuild them although if you do i would buy genuine seal kits as they fit in easy and most patern ones are very poorly made ( dont fit what so ever )

as for the movement problem they should move on a normal pedal without the engine running. you could try bleeding them through until the system is filled with new fluid but i dont think it will make much difference, but maybe worth a try

when you say clicking, can you expalin exactly what you mean? on my 92 RRC with ABS, it has just had its disks and pads replaced within the last month. It used to have very slight resistance when the brake pedal was pressed for the first time whilst braking but never effected the performance.

Maybe just a trade mark of RRC's ??

when you say clicking, can you expalin exactly what you mean? on my 92 RRC with ABS, it has just had its disks and pads replaced within the last month. It used to have very slight resistance when the brake pedal was pressed for the first time whilst braking but never effected the performance.

Maybe just a trade mark of RRC's ??

With the engine running press the brake pedal gently and you meet some resistance - press a little harder and the pedal goes click and the car starts to slow.

Before I changed the pads it would happen very occasionally since then it clicks every time. Braking efficiency is fine.

I am going to look at reconditioning the front calipers this weekend. in the snow :huh:

I do have a spare set on the shelf from a 92 classic that I broke a few years back but maybe these are not compatible with my 93. the parts suppliers suggest different mounting bolts metric vs imperial. :blink:

If it's the actual pedal that's making the noise, it could be the brake light switch/sensor - try sticking your head into the footwell and look at the top of the pedal when you move it around. IIRC there is a brake light switch (push to break) on the drivers side of the pedal assemble. When you brake, the plunger comes out of the switch and makes the connection to turn the brake lights on. This switch may be loose, on its way out or maybe it's just noisey.

My RRC used to make a little whoosh noise, then a click and then the brakes would really work. At slow speeds they could be quite aggressive if not used with care!

If none of the above & you have the later electric pump servo (no vacuum unit) it may be the rear brake pressure regulator. I recently replaced the rear flexible hoses that connect from the chassis to the rear axle and initially i could not get any fluid through no matter how hard i pressed the pedal. Switching the ignition on to energise the pump i still had to press quite hard then all of a sudden 'click' and fluid came through and thereafter no problems.

You may want to try bleeding the rear callipers to see whats happening? The servo circuit also uses two fluid connections to each calliper on mine. One is related to the ABS and the other conventional brake circuit - somewhat overly complicated. Suggest reading up on this.