Dicovery I - Passenger door lock replacement

john01473

Having recently changed the door lock on the rear door of my three door 1994 300 TDI Discovery I – I am somewhat tetchy about tackling the front nearside door lock.

The symptoms that lead me to believe that the lock is on its way out is the central locking only unlocks this door – every time.

The button stays up and lock does not lock with the central locking.

I have also had trouble locking it with the key.

If I push the button down from inside it locks every time.

If you open the door – push down button while holding door handle out and then close the door the button pops back up and the door seems to be locked.

When I mentioned all these symptoms to a mechanic he shook his head and said rather you than me – in his words a pig of a job replacing the lock – is it at all possible that its adjustment that is required – its been in there since 1994.

I have heard horror stories about taking window and frame out. I looked at the manual at taking the door card off seems ok – the rest of the procedures look mind-boggling.

Any advice would be welcome. If anyone has ideas about what might be wrong and possible remedies that would be helpful. If it is door lock change time has anyone done this recently – tips or shortcuts would also be welcomed.

Big John

post-11040-1227463228_thumb.jpg

I had to replace my drivers side 2weeks ago. It was a bit of a pig of a job! I found uncliping the rods and reconecting them to be the hardest part. Make sure you note exactly where the rods are routed and which bits they fit to, I didn't and it took me a while to get it right. Other than that its fairly straightforward but does take a bit of wiggleing to get it out.

It appears that it is not your lock giving you a problem, but either the operating rods and levers or the central locking actuator.

You will have to take the door card off and check that these two area's are operating correctly first.

There is a problem sometimes of a broken spring within the lock it's self, the symptom is the the door pin does not pop up fully.

Have just done this on the NS door.

The frame only needs to be slid up & fixed with the bottom ends up far enough to clear the lock. Boths side unbolt right down at the bottoms.

Drive the window hard up first & fix with tank/duck tape. Don't disengage the window sliders as the WM implies, or you will finish up with other problems.

It's difficult, but quite do-able & if/when my OS needs doing it won't fill me with dread. :rolleyes:

I found only one clip difficult to get on & it was the last one but after about an 1 1/2 hours I gave up & put a kink in the rod. That one was the vertical knob actuator & it is against the inner panel & quite difficult to get fingers on around a LH corner.

In my case it was the tiny lock spring that breaks & won't kick the mechanism. You can get the springs only, from ebay without replacing the lock & as you need to go through all the other work it's worth just doing.

When I mentioned all these symptoms to a mechanic he shook his head and said rather you than me – in his words a pig of a job replacing the lock – is it at all possible that its adjustment that is required – its been in there since 1994.

It just a bit long winded. The lock is the last thing that you remove from the door, pretty much everything else is in the way. It's not hard really. Only takes about an hour.....if you've done it before ;)

I've been putting this task off for so long but after reading the posts here and FF comments, I think I'll give it a go this weekend.

Since I've not done this before, I'll set aside the afternoon for it. :P

Todd.

It's character forming if nothing else, Todd. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice - I think I will remove the panel and look at the rods mentioned earlier.

One tip I can offer - when I did the back door I took some photos after I took off the panel - this was prior to removing anything else - when I put the lot back together I had a clear picture I could follow on the laptop - you could print it out if easier.

Will let you know how I get on.

Big John

:rolleyes:

You will find that the side door lock access is different & you won't get a camera in there like you can with the rear door.

When it's disconnected the lock will drop out ok though, unlike the rear where it seems impossible to remove it.............. & then suddenly, it falls out. :rolleyes:

You will find that the side door lock access is different & you won't get a camera in there like you can with the rear door.

When it's disconnected the lock will drop out ok though, unlike the rear where it seems impossible to remove it.............. & then suddenly, it falls out. :rolleyes:

thanks for advice -

cheers

Big John