Gear box, transfer box, diff ratio question

CJRH

I’ve decided to fit an LT77 gearbox with the 200TDI conversion in my 2a rather than a series gearbox. I know from using the search function ;) that you need an LT77 with a LT230 transfer box, what I can’t find out is what ratio diffs I should use with this setup. I’ve already swapped them for 3.5 ones, is this correct?

Also, with the LT77 gearbox, is it a lot longer than the series gearbox? Will I have to move the engine and gearbox mounts forward?

Cheers, Chris

90's/110's & Defenders all use 3.54 diff's. A SWB IIA should work ok with a 1.2 high ratio and a LWB with a 1.4 on 3.54 diff's. Much depends on your chosen tyre size as well.

The LT77/LT230 combination is (IIRC) ~4" longer than the Series boxes. The distance between F & R propshaft flanges is different to a Series. You are into custom propshafts. Also check clearance behind the transfer box to the crossmember under the seat base if fitting to a SWB.

Others have done the conversion and you might find a write up on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you can download the ratio comparison spreadsheet that is in the tech archive.

As has been said, much depends on tyre sizes - you could run 4.7:1 Series diffs and a 1:1 LT230 to get a very low low range off-road whilst giving good on-road gearing, or run 3.54:1 coiler diffs with your choice of high range (1.2, 1.4, 1.6) which would give you the same gearing as a coiler.

If the combo is going into an 88" it could be a bit tight, although removing the radiator cowling & engine fan gains a fair bit of space to shift the whole lot forwards.