Rear Winch Location - Suggestions?

Fatboy

Hi all,

I've almost finished the front of the Series 2a and am now turning my thoughts towards the bit behind the bulkhead :rolleyes:

I've got an old Ramsey 8000lb winch that I would like to fit to help with fellng trees etc, nothing too dramatic so figured I'd be as well putting it in the back to safe the weight on the steering etc.

So, as I don't want to alter my chassis, I figured I could extend the towbar spreader plate upwards and weld on a fairlead so that it sits above the chassis but beneath the tub floor.

As I see it, there are two options for the winch:

1. Put it right behind the rear tub bulkhead and build a mount to locate on the chassis legs and tie back to the crossmember beneath the bulkhead.

This option would allow me to lower the winch and distrupt the floor of the tub as little as possible (Just have a slight raise and an access hatch.

However, does having the fairlead 3 or 4ft away create problems?

2. Put the winch on the back of the rear crossmember. However, to do this, I'll need to have it higher up to present an acceptable angle between drum and fairlead therefore loose a chunk of floor space and have a step....

Any thoughts or experiences?

Shouldn't be a problem having the winch a distance from the cross member, i had this setup for a few years on mine. It may well mean that Plasma isn't an option but I get the impression that's probably not a problem for your intended use ? (I never tried running plasma under the load bed as I thought that running it over the top of exhaust systems and so on was too risky).

I used an ATV hawser fairlead on my rear crossmember as it's only about 4 inches wide and, when mounted so it's lined up with the centre of the drum will help to keep the spooling tidy on the drum as it encourages self spooling. I never had any problems with spooling on the rear winch while using this setup.

We get taught that at work. Well maybe not a wheel but burying big logs/telegraph poles to use as anchor points. But I've never seen it done or heard of anyone doing it.

Sorry for going off topic but reason for recovering wheel was this

IMG_7747.jpg

Got beached in the Simpson desert, no problem under normal circumsyances, a bit of spade work and you drive out. However the fickle Land Rover fairy paid us a visit! The 110 got stalled when beached and the FLRF made sure we could not restart it. So it was a case of ground anchor, winch forward and bump start it. Since was pulling from above ground anchor it would not bite in the sand, so after 3 attempts we resorted to burying one of the spare wheels. Yes warm work and 110 winched forward bump started off ok. Next couple of days when parking 110 we parked on a hill but the fickl;e Land Rover fairy had gone to play else where and 110 started on key first time.

We decided it was easier to pull the buried wheel out of the hole through the loose fill sand rather then dig it out hence first photo

It was good to know theory of buried wheel works in practise

Regards

Brendan

Thanks for the photos and the piccies ;)

I'm trying to avoid putting it outboard of the rear crossmember because I want to have a NATO hitch and possibly a tow bar, thus the theory about extending a standard draw-bar plate upward for the hawse.. I'm going to try and put it in a box under the rear floor I think.

another option which i'm think but dont know if its any good for you to make a winch plate that will go on a dixon bate drop plate then you can use the tow bar for towing and winch for winchin and then it off the vehical when its not in use an out the way

of course the cross member will still need strengthening etc

dave