police spec springs

gelf

when i bought my classic, the vehicle hand just had a set of new police spec springs from paddocks fitted.

i had the intention of fitting +2" HD springs to it but the previous owner said that the police springs were about "2 taller than the standards he removed..... so i just fitted my OME shocks.

to be honest im not happy with the handling on these springs, very wallowy etc.

just wondering if anyone has thoughts on these spring before i order replacements?

Mine has police rear springs fitted by the previous owner. He didn't get round to doing the front springs, but did offer to give me the parts as part of the sale. The front is still on standard springs now, and the mixture gives a very slightly tail high poise that looks modest but sporty - it certainly gets rid of the ugly tail sag that RRCs have. The "lift" is much less than 2" - probably closer to 3/4".

I have DeCarbons on each corner (again, by the previous owner), and find the handling very taught and precise. That siad, it did get a bit woolly as the old suspension bushes wore out. I'd bet that's where your problem is, not with the stiffer police springs.

I had the police spec stuff on my Rangey, first class upgrade.

Gave a good ride, not wallowey in the slightest, very rarely got overtaken on the tarmac!

He's talking poop about a 2" lift though, mine was somewhere between 1" and 3/4" higher than before.

The police spec rear springs (NRC4303) with the red and white stripe are a heavy duty version of standard RR rear springs and do give a little lift. However to reduce the roll of the vehicle on cornering and to give the vehicle a true lift aftermarket springs such as the BM blue spring are a much better option.

Gas shocks do also dramatically increase the cornering performance of the classic RR.

when i bought my classic, the vehicle hand just had a set of new police spec springs from paddocks fitted.

i had the intention of fitting +2" HD springs to it but the previous owner said that the police springs were about "2 taller than the standards he removed..... so i just fitted my OME shocks.

just wondering if anyone has thoughts on these spring before i order replacements?

i was going to fit the poilce spec springs to try to stop my disco hitting the bump stops what towing the 90

there ment to be a heavy duty spring, so unless yours have had it i cant think its them

I had the police spec stuff on my Rangey, first class upgrade.

Gave a good ride, not wallowey in the slightest, very rarely got overtaken on the tarmac!

He's talking poop about a 2" lift though, mine was somewhere between 1" and 3/4" higher than before.

I think the 2" lift gained from Police Spec (red-white stripe) springs is gained when you fit rear springs to the front. If you then add a spacer under the rear springs to lift the rear a bit to level the vehicle.

You gain a 2" lift without buying the stiffer HD lift springs, plus its a really cheap way to lift the vehicle.

As HD springs go, the red/white are relativerly soft with a rate only 170 lbs/in (origionally RRC rears were 150lbs/in) and were intended for a RRC with a boge SLU fitted to the rear axle. Most HD springs by comparison start with a rate from around 200lbs/in upwards.

I would suspect the red/white springs from paddocks will be britpart (my £9.00 ones were) so there is a question as to how accurate they are to genuine parts specification. Unfortunately one of the machines at uni that could measure them is out of action otherwise I would have an accurate figure for what mine really are.

I have police specs fitted to my classic convertible - I'd agree with the 3/4 to 1" higher comments and wallowy handling. the dissapointment for me is that the drivers side is sitting lower than the passenger side and this is on a car that has only done 600 - 800 miles a year since fitting them. 3 years ago.

my bushes are all brand new poly bushes.......... i think i'll order new +2" HDs it needs all the help it can get the the big tyres ive fitted.

There's your answer. It's not the springs but the tall tyres that are upsetting the handling. As for the polys, I've not tried them and never will - I've seen too many photos of sheared radius arm studs and worn components from rit ingress from the non-bonded, loose fitting bushes. The fact that even Bowler recommend standard bushes tells me all I need to know.