Roll cage - again!

I am on the look out for a roll cage (still) for my Defender 90 hardtop and originally liked the idea of the safety devices one that disappears into the roof behind the drivers head onto an internal hoop arrangement.

I have since been looking at the P&P one which the top bar over the driver is essentially flat, but then I happened upon one on the north offroad site - its on the bottom of their web page. I must admit to liking the layout of it.

90IntExt.jpg

on the inside , I would prefer diagonals going down to the rear X member rather than horizontal bars.

Looking at it I would also like to know whether you can still remove the bonnet easily, as that lower crossbar looks a tad close.

does anyone have any good advice so that I can make a more informed choice?

North off road make excellent cages- they will add or remove whatever you want- additional rear stays running down to the rear cross member will not be a problem. You will be able to remove the bonnet with a welded in bar under the windscreen as the bar can be moved up and down before it is welded to allow for it- the one you show simply unbolts in any case- 4 bolts and it is off.

On the North off road website take a look at the full external cage on the silver 90- I much prefer this design as it provides protection to all of the body work from trees etc- it includes an internal hoop with diagonals as well.

this is my 6-point internal and external rollcage.

This is very similar to the design I am currently devapourising.

I would be very intersted in internal pics of the B hoop connections through the roof next to the alpine windows if you have any... pretty please.... ;)

the treeslider at the side of the roof is very usefull!

1602145.jpg

now the rollcage was expanded for using a top-winch.

1602195.jpg

Nice, but does the back have internal verticals down to the chassis, or simply mount to the roof? where's that from?

Nice, but does the back have internal verticals down to the chassis, or simply mount to the roof? where's that from?

there are 3 pair verticals down to the chassis! only on the roof would make no sense.

a: outside at the windscreen down through the wings onto the chassis

b: inside behind the seats down through the wheel-house onto the chassis

c: inside in the back down through the wheel-house onto the rear crossmember

b+c are connected inside by a diagonal

the top tubes can also easily be used as a roof rack.

the rollcage was built by http://www.x-treme4x4.com in the netherlands.

the treeslider at the side of the roof is very usefull!

now the rollcage was expanded for using a top-winch.

1602195.jpg

Smart truck.

How do you use the top winch, I assume its mounted down by the bulkhead and its the same one that comes out through the back door?.

Whats that over the top of the back door, CB arial ?.

Looks like you have cut the back door to allow for the fairlead?

What I would really like to see is the second picture taken from inside the truck, if you get what I mean?

I have made new pictures for you. Hope you can see what you would like, because the roof lining is fitted now?

1611689.jpg

1611692.jpg

1611693.jpg

@treebloke

> How do you use the top winch...

Correct, the winch is in the middle, behind the seats. The rope can carry out to the roof as a top-winch or back to the door as a rear winch.

1611690.jpg

1611691.jpg

> Whats that over the top of the back door, CB arial ?...

The cb-aerial is lay down for protection against branches. Disadvantage is the short coverage.

> Looks like you have cut the back door to allow for the fairlead?

The back door is cut out for the fairlead. A piece of carpet behind the failead prevents inflowing in deep water.

1611694.jpg

How does the rear hoop connect to the Cross Member. The diagonal brace in the back does it connect to the rear hoop or the Cross Member, any chance of more pictures.

This is the bracket in the wheel-house. On the top stands the rear hoop and it is connected to the crossmember:

1612330.jpg

The diagonals are between the middle and rear hoop;

1612377.jpg