can I weld this??

fatforbes

I noticed that my disco has developed a bit of a wobble mostly at high speed and whilst towing. Had a look today and the reason for this became pretty obvious. The o/s trailing arm mount to the axle has completely snapped off. has anyone had this happen before??? and is it simple to make a new mount and weld it to the axle? don't know if im right in saying this but arn't the axles cast iron?? which would make welding a little more interesting blink.gif

Blimey! yeah maybe I am pretty lucky. I've still been driving it on short journeys, think i may stop now after seeing that. buying an early rusty disco perhaps wasn't such a good idea! I have to drive a 1/4 mile heavily pot holed track to get to my house and its bringing out all the weak points which have been waiting to break <_< .

when I weld the bracket on i presume its important where the bracket sits on the axle? Ive cleaned the area back ready for the new bracket and attached the trailing arm to the new bracket with the bolt ( so its loose) . I then put a jack under the bracket and gently jacket it up so its pressed against the axle, but it's not sitting in the same position as the other side, the trailing arm is a little bit too close to the axle. So i'm worried the back wheels won't be aligned. am i worrying about nothing and should just weld it where it sits or do i need to make sure there in exactly the right position? and if so how??? :blink:

On mine I think it was just corrosion around the bracket, I removed about 1/2 cm thick flakey rust from all around the bracket!