Brake Shoes

Dear All,

I recently overhauled my rear hub brakes. Replaced cylinders, hubs, shoes and springs. Ever since I have been aware of a slight “unevenness” when braking at very low speed i.e. brakes feel on then off. Took things apart to check this out and the shoes are wearing unevenly

post-6222-1229857856_thumb.jpg

Any idea what the problem is. I thought that it may be U/S shoes?

Wheel bearings show no movement so think that they are OK.

Thanks

Jon

Thanks,

Should have mentioned that drums were also replaced at the same time. So it looks as if some of the parts may not be up to spec.

The drums were Bearmach the shoes were Paddocks specials...........

Are mintex shoes worth a go?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Until shoes have been in a long time you will see a level of uneven wear, its all part of the bedding in process.

If you are feeling the braking effect coming and going at low speed I would suspect the drums are running out of true. This can happen as a result of the machining process if the castings aren't great or are distorted when held for machining. You could try checking this by reversing the drum on the hub and using a clock guage, alignment of drum reversed on the hub may not be as good as the correct way round so take measurents from opposite positions around the circumference, 6-8 should suffice, and average the results.

Also check the drum surface for an even finish.

Mintex shoes are likely to be fitted with a better friction material, however they all fit to a similar steel frame and will all require time to bed in due to wear in the back plates, adjusters, and other location points.

Hope this helps

Rob

Rear shoes do wear unevenly - they are not pushed against the inside of the drum along their entire surface. You can clamp the rear flexi hose and then try the brakes (only the front ones will work). That way you can determine if the problem is really the rear brakes.

Les.

You mention 'on then off' feeling with the brakes at slow speed. If this is in the form of pulsing through the brake pedal, then the new drums are not perfectly round inside and are faulty.

Brakes do wear a bit unevenly as they bed in as mentioned, thought that wear looks a bit much at the top to me.

On a related note, I fitted Britpart rear shoes from Paddocks on the back of my 110 a while ago, and they were very poorly made, with the linings not bonded to the shoes very accurately. They were difficult to adjust in terms of reducing pedal stroke without minor dragging. Their performance could only be described as 'adequate'. After a few months I swapped them out for Lockheed items and they were much better made, adjusted up easily and correctly with no dragging and performed perfectly.

I will never use Britpart brake linings again and have added them to a list of other Britpart items I will never use again.

Regards,

Diff

You mention 'on then off' feeling with the brakes at slow speed. If this is in the form of pulsing through the brake pedal, then the new drums are not perfectly round inside and are faulty.

Brakes do wear a bit unevenly as they bed in as mentioned, thought that wear looks a bit much at the top to me.

On a related note, I fitted Britpart rear shoes from Paddocks on the back of my 110 a while ago, and they were very poorly made, with the linings not bonded to the shoes very accurately. They were difficult to adjust in terms of reducing pedal stroke without minor dragging. Their performance could only be described as 'adequate'. After a few months I swapped them out for Lockheed items and they were much better made, adjusted up easily and correctly with no dragging and performed perfectly.

I will never use Britpart brake linings again and have added them to a list of other Britpart items I will never use again.

Regards,

Diff

:unsure: Well noted.. was about to purchase one but not anymore!! :huh: