Folding side step fitting

I've got some brtipart folding side steps but no fitting instructions. I suspect it might not be that straightforward as i've got rocksliders on. Can anyone give me any intructions/pics on how they're meant to fit. It's just an interim until i can afford some tubulars.

Dave

I have sliders on and fitted some folding side steps, there should be upside down u shaped channels running along the edge under the doors between the wheel arches, if you line the chassis leg of the step up with the lower bolt, if you have these channels in place still then the holes on the vertical faces of the legs will line up with holes in the channel. I put some M8 bolts through these which did the trick. On the drivers side (1988 90) the fuel tank was in the way as someone else has mentioned, so I too drilled some holes beside the driver's seat under the metal panel that screws into the seat box base, this allowed me to fit two bolts into the horizontal feet of the steps which had slightly better access. The metal plate then screws back down over the bolt heads and hides them.

That was how I did it anyway, a tree stump removed the driver's side one so they're no longer fitted now and I can't take pictures to describe what I mean.

Dave i think the southdown sliders will be in the way of where the vertical section of the step needs to go - same for tubular sills as well - may be wrong though.

i do have the original side sills if you want them if you end up replacing the southdown sills, wouldnt mind first dibs back on the southdown sills though.

Alternative - weld a step on to the sills just dont make it too strong so that it at least bends if you catch it off roading rather than it becoming an extra anchor point.

Dave i think the southdown sliders will be in the way of where the vertical section of the step needs to go - same for tubular sills as well - may be wrong though.

i do have the original side sills if you want them if you end up replacing the southdown sills, wouldnt mind first dibs back on the southdown sills though.

Alternative - weld a step on to the sills just dont make it too strong so that it at least bends if you catch it off roading rather than it becoming an extra anchor point.

All sorted now. They fit on just fine after a bit of manouvering. I think if i ever did any serious offroading i'd just unbolt them, but until then at least the girlfriend can get up into the cab!

Dave

• 3 years later...