Harness fitting

Holyzeus

After a conversation with a fellow forumeer it may be that my rear harness fixing may not meet the Reg's required, it is fixed to the rear bulkhead.

I have signed up for the AWDC/Challenger series so need this to be able to pass scrutineering.

Picture028.jpg

I have looked at the MSA regs/drawing's held on this site which would appear to show that the current fixing may not be good enough however this truck did compete in the 2005 and 2006 AWDC challenge with the current fixing's

Comments please

You've probably already seen these in the Technical Regs, but here they are again anyway.

I would say that the harness needs to go over a rigid bar or tube before heading down to the bulkhead so it complies with the first drawing.

I would then ensure there are some pretty hefty spreader plates involved.

And as RV says it must be a four point harness next year.

Drawing253-42.jpg

Drawing253-43.jpg

Drawing253-44.jpg

Drawing253-45.jpg

Do you have to have harnesses for all AWDC events then?.

Are standard belts not acceptable then?.

Yes, standard belts are totally acceptable.

The irony is (through revised MSA regs) that 3 point harnesses may not be used, only four or five.

So its 3 point conventional seat belts or 4/5 point harnesses.

Yes, standard belts are totally acceptable.

The irony is (through revised MSA regs) that 3 point harnesses may not be used, only four or five.

So its 3 point conventional seat belts or 4/5 point harnesses.

:rolleyes:

Come on Neil, compulsary helmets with neck restraint, minimum 4 point harness, MSA spec cage and built in fire extinguisher. All supplied with annual test and inspection certificate at scrutineering. :rtfm:

That should thin the field a bit for next year. :ph34r::hysterical:

Just out of curiosity, will the regs be different between levels of event? ie Howling Wolf vs Challenger Series - or will they all be using the same set of rules and regs?

Cheers

Mark

There is one set of Technical Regulations for all AWDC Challenge events, just as there are for all Trials and all Safaris.

The Supplementary Regulations vary to allow different class structures etc

Stupid suggestion here:

How about strengthening your dog-guard and mounting an ali hawse in it, then running the end of the belts down to the bulkhead where you have them currently..... Or coming up with some kind of frame arrangement that comes up from the bulkhead to the rear of the belt holes in the seat??

It's a bit difficult to explain, but I think you might know what I'm talking about. The only problem I can foresee is a lack of support fore/aft in the event of an accident, but might be worth exploring.

Otherwise, is it possible to put a tube across the back of the seats, fixed to either side of the hard top with spreader plates. This could either be used as the final mounting point for the belts, or just used to run the belts over to securing points lower down...

Stupid suggestion here:

How about strengthening your dog-guard and mounting an ali hawse in it, then running the end of the belts down to the bulkhead where you have them currently..... Or coming up with some kind of frame arrangement that comes up from the bulkhead to the rear of the belt holes in the seat??

It's a bit difficult to explain, but I think you might know what I'm talking about. The only problem I can foresee is a lack of support fore/aft in the event of an accident, but might be worth exploring.

Otherwise, is it possible to put a tube across the back of the seats, fixed to either side of the hard top with spreader plates. This could either be used as the final mounting point for the belts, or just used to run the belts over to securing points lower down...

first option is prob unworkable as the seats are right on the guard therefore it would be virtually no different angle wise to how it is now.

the bar should i decide to stay with harnesses is i think the only option however in that space on the wheelboxes is where the webasto/compressor and shortly an air tank reside making fitting awkward as it would have to come up from there. Also as you say the structural integrity of the tube also needs to be ascertained re Reg's

think i am gonna have to look around at various trucks and see what they have done and try to get some input from scrutineers in the meantime

Thanks for your input Adrian ;)

Barry,

could you put a bar accross the truck, in between the side diagonal braces on the exo rollcage? It would mean either drilling large holes in the side of the truck, or making up some fitting flanges so it could be bolted through the sides though. That way you should be able to get the bar high enough to get the angles right, and so as not to encroach on the load bay too much...

will draw a picture if it makes it any clearer?

Mark

Just to clarify. Do the 2 shoulder straps need to be attached to the frame at 2 separate points? Is a single 7/16" threaded bush welded through the cage tube with a a single rated eye bolt not considered adequate?

Tim

Guessing not........ Would that practically be the same as my current setup albeit with a 3 point harness?